Logo

Canadian made Merc 850

monte

Regular Contributor
"Canadian made mercury serial

"Canadian made mercury serial number 2321141 850 series 85 HP , I hate to ask all these questions but I AGAIN can't find the year of this motor. I can't find it on ishop so i'm assuming it's prior to 68.
crazy.gif
}"

"Andre, I have a "maybe&#3

"Andre, I have a "maybe" on two different listings. Is your model a 6 cylinder or a 4???

A 6 cyl would probably be a 1964

A 4 cyl would probably be a 1973"

"Wait Sorry!

I was thinking

"Wait Sorry!

I was thinking of another motor,Yes it's a four!your thinking it's a 73?"

"Andre, the "new series&#3

"Andre, the "new series" of 850/85hp started in 1973. The couple model years they built in the 60's were 6 cyl.

Starting in 73 (and running until the 77 model year) the model 850 was built in the US, Canada and Austrailia by the look of these messy lists I have

Anyhow, it looks like Canada started with 2xxxxxx serials, the US 3xxxxxxx and the Aussies 9xxxxxx.

Depending on how many were actually produced in Mississauga, I would guess probably 73 maybe 74. But it was a 5 year inclusive model run and most parts should be fairly similar..."

Thanks Graham!
I did find it

Thanks Graham!
I did find it on ishop now that you mention 73! I'm parting and selling this motor but they don't provide much of a parts price list.i guess they don't make then anymore! So I have no idea what to ask for each part? Any advise?

"I would treat the same as any

"I would treat the same as any larger motor of the same vintage.

The 850 was a "big motor" for it's day - it was discontinued when the 90 hit the scene.

I guess it's kinda a hit/miss on this - either there are still a good few out there that guys are trying to keep running, or nobody has them and so there's "no market".

Why not try listing something like the lower unit on Ebay - let the market set itself - by the interest generated you will know if you have something worthwhile..."

"That a good idea Graham!
I d

"That a good idea Graham!
I definately don't want to sell a lower unit that is no good, or not working well. I obviously didn't have the motor running, so I'm not sure if it's good. I can turn the prop and the shaft moves with a little resistance I might add.and it "clicks" when i turn it opposite direction. I just can't figure out how to put it in neutal or reverse. Am I suppose to pull on the gear shaft or turn it? I have very little experience with merc's
crazy.gif
"

"That model is a little older

"That model is a little older than I usually see, but would think (given the horsepower) and it's a 2 piece shift shaft that you turn it - neutral in the middle."

"Tried the shift shaft today!

"Tried the shift shaft today! Still no luck, I can't get it to neutral or reverse, there must be something wrong, I think I'm going to pull the gears out. If I could get that damm gear housing ring off.You do have too turn the ring clock wise to remove it right?"

Back