Logo

2002 99 Honda runs roughdies at low speed

bc_fred

"My 2002 9.9 starts easy and r

"My 2002 9.9 starts easy and runs great, BUT when I run at idle or very low speed for a while, then turn it up, it runs really rough before it revs up, and sometime it dies when I give it more throttle.

As it speeds up out of this condition, it acts like it's maybe running on one clyinder, then the other cylinder kicks in.

I haven't even had a chance to check the plugs yet.

The engine sat for about 8 months, through the winter, without any special attention. It has run maybe 10 hours since then, sometimes for 3 hours at a time, with no problem except the low rev to high rev difficulty.

Where should I start?"

"The fuel is more than half fr

"The fuel is more than half fresh, and it didn't smell bad before fresh was added.

Is there a drain on the carb bowl? Where are the high and low speed jets located? Are they easily accessible?"

"You need to clean out the jet

"You need to clean out the jets in the carb. Also, your accelerator pump/piston may be frozen. When you have the carb apart, see if you can push down on the silver colored piston (looks almost like a small dime). The piston should go down, and come back up on it's own. Careful, becuase when you push this down, gas should come squirting up!"

"Thanks Dude,

Is there anyt

"Thanks Dude,

Is there anything special about this carb as I take it off, open it up, and put it back on?

Does the bowl come off with a few screws like older carbs?

Then clean everything in sight, poke out and rinse any apertures and orifices, get the accelerator pump free and clean, rinse well and reassemble?

Any tiny steel balls or springs waiting to fling themselves overboard?

The engine runs and idles well now, except for the idle to fast jump, or in this case, stumble. Now that I know there's an acelerator pump, it sounds like a strong possible."

"buy the carb manual from hond

"buy the carb manual from honda
happy.gif
"

Back