Evinrude 33hp 40 hp starting problem

B

Bart Cops

"Hi,

Big problem here!
We

"Hi,

Big problem here!
We have a late 60 's 33hp Evinrude and a 1971 40 hp Evinrude Fasttwin engine and they just WONT START!!!
They have gas in the carbs, spark... etc etc.
We cleaned the carbs several times, cleaned the small filters down below the carburators, new sparks etc etc. The 40HP runs for 2 seconds with brake cleaner when I spray it in the intake and then dies because it can 't get gas in the cylinders. The sparks stay dry. Even the valves behind the carburator are as good as new!
I 'm getting crazy about it... Just don 't know it anymore. I even had two mechanics here and they can 't find it either.

What in Gods name can we do about this?

Greetings

Bart
Belgium-Europe}"

"on the evinrude 40 check for

"on the evinrude 40 check for fuel pressure, may be bad fuel pump, the carb bowl should have a a drain screw, pull it and check for fuel, if fuel not present, check the float needle it may be stuck and do not use brake cleaner! use the premix you have in the tank with a sprayer"

Check spark properly! If spark

Check spark properly! If spark will not jump a gap of 6mm then you do not have spark.Pull the flywheel and check for cracked coils and bad condensers.

"I have cracked coils, but the

"I have cracked coils, but the sparks work...
What that has to do with not getting the fuel into the cylinders, sparks stay dry...
The fuel pump works perfect, it pushes the fuel into the carbs... Float needle looks good.
But yes indeed, I pulled the drain screw and there 's no fuel

Ciao

Bart"

"You say you cleaned the carbu

"You say you cleaned the carburetor several times, well clean it again.If no fuel runs out of carburetor bowl then something is plugged.You also need to replace those coils as you are asking for trouble there as well.Fixing that motor would be a peice of cake if it was on my bench."

"it sounds like the floats are

"it sounds like the floats are installed wrong, one side of the float should align with the carb bowl, if installed wrong, the bowl will push the float and closing the needle."

"Hello,

My 40 HP runs!!!
T

"Hello,

My 40 HP runs!!!
Thanks for the good advice, infact I cleaned the carburator again and found out that there was still some dirt in the "high speed needle". Cleaned it up, mounted it again and after 1 minute it started up.
We test drove it this evening and it ran really good. But.... Does anybody know the carburator settings for the "low speed & high speed" needle?

Thanks again

Bart
(Belgium)"

Back