dradulescu

"hello,

my outboard stopped

"hello,

my outboard stopped to throw the control water jet
it's a 4 stroke Honda 40 HP, BF40
it seems to run ok, which makes me think the water pump is working

questions:
- if the water pump won't work, this outboard will stop or show signs of not cooling properly, or will just run till disaster ?
- how can I find out if the water pump works, as long as is not throwing the control jet ?
- if the control jet is blocked because of debries or something like this, is there any good method to unblock it ? I tryied using some wires and push them on the control jet hole, I used a compressor, I even blowed and it did not seemed to be blocked, when I blowed some gasoline started to get out on another hole..

The boat is in a remote location and it would be difficult to take it to a repair shop.....

thank you !"

"Dan,

Might I ask how the p

"Dan,

Might I ask how the problem was resolved? I have a 1999 130hp that is showing the exact same symptoms, I gone through the same steps that you mentioned in your first posting.

Thanks!"

"oh I was dumm
I was trying t

"oh I was dumm
I was trying to clean the wrong hole
I was trying to do this on deep water, with not a good access to the outboard
so I got mad and get the boat to a beach, and I saw that stupid me was blowing and pulling wires in a hole that was getting to some carburater
that is why when I was blowing some gasoline started to get out from another hole
I am anyways amased that nobody told me, you dude are blowing wrong if gasoline comes out

the water cooling pipe is very accessible, I cleaned it in 1 minute and the problem was solved
anyways, when you blow in that pipe the air has to come out in the propeller area somewhere
it means the pipes are good and clean
probabely if you do that and still the water won't come, it means the water pump is actually not working....."

"Dan,

Thanks for the respon

"Dan,

Thanks for the response...missed the part about gas coming out...I was actually looking at the right hose, can blow air through the hose fine actually see water drain out from water intake area...When I first start the engine water is comes out the jet but slows as it runs, and not near as strong as the other engine."

"well, I had the friend with t

"well, I had the friend with that problem, but besides that he got heat alarm on the remote and a loud noise when he was forcing the engine...
he had to change the water pump
do you get heat alarm on the remote, is that sensor working ?"

"No heat alarm sounding on the

"No heat alarm sounding on the remote, I am assuming that the sensor is working since I have a green light on the remote. May be a bad assumption on my part.

Thanks again for the follow-up.

Worst fear is that it is the pump...don't have a trailer for the boat and don't want to think the pain it is going to be to find someone to come to work on it."

"probabely the green is for oi

"probabely the green is for oil pressure
you should have a red one below, that lights only when a heating problem occurs
I have never seen mine iluminated, but I have doubts about it working, and that's why:
I have starded the outboard completely trimmed up ( out of the water ), and in few seconds it starts to chocke, I assume it has a kind of control of turation that won't let it run if is not cooling
allthough that happened, I had no heating alarm on the remote....
a second reason for it to choke when completely trimmed up would probabely be that the carburators don't like that position

anybody knows ?"

Back