Logo

AQ125A

skippy

"I have a AQ125A in a 19ft Bay

"I have a AQ125A in a 19ft Bayliner, what my problem is that i was on the river and everything was running fine, then there was a loud bang and then i dead in the water. The boat still turns over, it is getting fuel however when i tried to start it, it was backfiring through the carb. I have been told that it might be something with the timing. I recently put electronic ignition in it also. I now have the front end off the motor exposing the timing belt but do not see anything obvoius. Also which is number one piston when looking at the engine from in the boat?? Any help would be apprecitated.
Thank You"

"Gerry,

First, make sure th

"Gerry,

First, make sure the timing belt has not jumped one or a few teeth. For this, you have to verify that the dots in the timing gears line-up with their reference points in the block. The Seloc and Clymer manuals explain how to do this.

Number one piston is the one forward of the engine."

"Thank you for the info, i don

"Thank you for the info, i don't think this belt has been changed since 1978. I thought that was number one but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help."

"Very common problem on the ov

"Very common problem on the overhead cam engines. Make sure the all the timing gears are free from corrosion. If indeed it is the belt timing, change the tensioner out also being it's so old. You will save yourself some headaches by doing so."

"And now that you are at it, r

"And now that you are at it, replace the timing gears if they are pitted, or they will chew a new timing belt in a matter of hours. You can get used timing gears from autowreckers at a reasonable price."

"Thanks for the info, yes they

"Thanks for the info, yes they are pitted, also what type of engine would i find these gears off of?? would it be chevy?? I gues it could be anything as long as it is the same size?? Thanks again"

"Here is an online company tha

"Here is an online company that I use for auto parts.

http://www.sasponline.com

They have them. Probably a lot less expensive that VP. They have pulleys, tensioners, and belts.

The wrecking yards around here are getting picky about pulling good engines apart."

Back