Logo

Evinrude Lark 50 HP leaded gas

old_salt

"I just recently acquired a Mo

"I just recently acquired a Model #50203, 50 horse Evinrude Lark that had been in storage for at least 4 years. Started right up on the old gas that accompanied it. I note in the manual it underlines the recommendation to use leaded gas. Can't get leaded gas now... bought a lead substitute additive made by Gunk at the Auto store to add to the gas. Before I add it though, I wonder if anyone out there has any similar experience and/or advice? }"

"Robert, you should be fine ru

"Robert, you should be fine running modern unleaded gas, with modern TCW3 marine oil mixed at the recommended mix (50:1 for your 1972 model motor).

What your bigger concern would be with your gas lines etc, if they are original. The modern fuels will tend to eat these up on you - so a few feet of new fuel line would be recommended. And keep an eye on fuel pump bladders/neoprene packing in the carb floats (if applicable).

Also, if you are in an area that is now selling E10 (10% ethanol or methanol fuel), you should run two cycle gas stablizer in the tank "at all times". This blend sucks up water and then separates and the gas itself gets old in as little as 3 weeks..."

Back