Logo

Reverse Lock Cam

roon500

"Hey guys,
First post. I'

"Hey guys,
First post. I've got a 70 merc 500 that I just replaced the impeller in. while I was in there I puller the reverse cam lock off to clean it up a bit. I marked it's position with a sharpie and then as usual cleaned the mark of with carb cleaner. I have a lousy Seloc online manual that describes the alignment like this:

Set the gearcase in NEUTRAL
Place the spacer over the lower shift shaft with the grooved side facing downward (toward the gearcase). Make sure the spacer tabs are located into the grooves in the gear housing, then push the spacer down against the shift shaft bushing.
Position the Reverse Lock Cam so the high part of the cam (found at the upper end of the ramp) is facing forward (the starboard side edge of the cam will roughly align with the centerline of the gearcase from the nose, through the starboard side of the shift rod, through the front center water-pump retainer). With the cam in this position, slide is onto the lower shift shaft.

Maybe it's just me but that makes no sense what so ever. The cam is round and it's hard to find the starboard edge of a round object. I attempted to put it together once and the reverse cam didn't work properly and it blew out my old shift cable trying to put it into reverse. I've attached a picture of it when I first took it out. Unfortuntely I had already moved the cam. I've added a white line to mark the high end of the ramp. This is the only thing you could actually use to align it to something. Could someone tell me where this should line up when the unit is in neutral. In the picture it is lined up at the 3 o'clock position relative to the front of the unit.
85137.jpg
Reverse Lock Cam

in reverse you want the pin to

in reverse you want the pin to be on the highest point. So in neutral the pin would be close to the top of the ramp.

Thanks a bunch for the answer.

Thanks a bunch for the answer. I'll try that out. This is a great board. Keep up the good work.

"Patrick, The reverse lock sho

"Patrick, The reverse lock should be released only when the motor is in forward gear."

Back