Logo

What year

sanford

Contributing Member
"found this merc for 300.00 cl

"found this merc for 300.00 cleaned carbs,runs great compression 125,125,120,125,came with controls,are these motors any good and how does it compare to my 1977 55 evinrude,the merc # are 7140888"

"Albert (and JB) - tha

"Albert (and JB) - that's a Canadian serial number eh! We have really crappy records up here - Merc just kinda cranked things out.

Basically when Merc (US) started using serial numbers 51XXXXX in the States, Merc in Canada started serial 71XXXX on this model - so best guess would be a 1977 model (50 horse) - earlier would have made it a model 500..."

"Lloyd, you have a 1993, 4 cyl

"Lloyd, you have a 1993, 4 cylinder, 40 horse Mariner, built by Merc (North America).

This is a very well built "small" mid-sized motor.

All the North American built Mercs and Mariners in the 30/40 horse model built between the mid 80's and 1994 were from the same design/production run (the 30 is just a detuned 40 horse).

That means there are lot's of parts available, whether new from Merc or the aftermarket or even on the used circuit...

This came in both electric start or (rope) pull start configurations, possibly with oil injection (otherwise standard 50:1 mix).

Anything else??"

Hi Graham: On my 40 mariner wh

Hi Graham: On my 40 mariner what does magnum mean? And is it easy to put the jet on.I got the boat a few days ago and it came with a jet and shaft.And who puts out a good manual for this eng.

"Lloyd, Merc started with a 2

"Lloyd, Merc started with a 2 cylinder 40 horse, then made a 3. When they put out the 4 cylinder, they called it the "magnum" probably just to differentiate it from the others.

Swapping out a lower unit/installing the jet drive is a fairly simple process. Simply requires removing the existing unit (if equipped) by removing the bolts holding it to the leg (exhaust housing), disconneting the shift shaft and then taking off the old unit.

The jet unit then is just fitted into place (ensuring the shift shaft, driveshaft and water-tube all fit nicely/properly into their respective places and then doing up the bolts.

The lower unit is removed routinely to replace the water pump impeller (usually every second year) and the entire job takes somewhat less than an hour.

Jet units are good if you tend to run in very shallow water, but they are significantly harder on gas than a standard unit. Although you don't indicate it, if you have a standard lower unit with this motor I would use it unless you really have need of the Jet. They do look cool, but are very inefficient.

As to a manual - the best is always to obtain a factory service manual from Merc (or a used one on Ebay etc.). These are specific to your motor/model run and contain all information and specifications that you would ever need. They are however expensive unless purchased used.

There are a couple of decent aftermarket tune-up/repair manuals (such as Seloc's) which will cover "similar" motors in a given range of years.

Not as specific but still good overall, and can usually be picked up for 30-40 bucks.

This site sells manuals such as these - you can check it out by clicking on the link in the upper right portion of this page under "engine manuals"..."

"Sorry Lloyd, was thinking abo

"Sorry Lloyd, was thinking about a normal lower unit. The shift works different on the jet, the cable connects right to the lower unit instead of the shaft on a normal set-up.

If you are going to use it, just send me an email (by clicking on my name) and I'll send a file that I have on Jet drive set-up/hook-up etc (it's a little large but well worth it)...."

"A question from Regina, Canad

"A question from Regina, Canada: I want to order a service & tune-up manual for my Mercury outboard 25 HP but I do not know the year. Serial # 7202102. Exterior states "Mercury 25" with two blue bands (one dark blue, one medium blue). I have searched the internet thoroughly including oldmercs, etc but I cannot find a year. One website lists the model as 1025203, but I cannot confirm this. Mercury website states that if only 7 digits, then this is pre-1980, however I have found contradicting info to this statement. Why all the secrecy?? (or is it just lack of organization).
Can anyone answer what model year?

ALSO:
very difficult to start, and idles rough or not at all. Often I need to insert screw driver to hold choke open to get engine to start, but this does not always work. any ideas? perhaps remove and clean carb..?..
Thanks, from Canada."

"Canadian motor eh! Ya, Merc

"Canadian motor eh! Ya, Merc in Mississauga really sucked at keeping track of the serial numbers they produced.

The 7XXXXXX definately makes it Canadian built.

I don't have an "exact" list, but have references across to what the U.S. serials were in the "same time frame".

Based on that you motor is almost certainly a 1983 model.

And to your second part, yes it sounds like the carb needs to be removed, disassembled and cleaned. But you should still check your compression and check for spark at both cylinders. No sense rebuilding a carb if it's something as simple as bad plugs or a coil..."

TO: Graham L: Thanks very mu

TO: Graham L: Thanks very much for the model year. I appreciate. Wherever do you get this info?. Cdn Bruce.

Bruce - I think you can find m

Bruce - I think you can find most of it if you dig enough on the net.

I was fortunate. My Dad was a small engine guy and he kept pretty good lists of model numbers cross ref'd to most of the US serial numbers as well (which I have tried to keep updated). When he retired I scooped up all the outboard stuff including the lists and manuals...

Hi Graham: On my 40hp marineri

Hi Graham: On my 40hp marineri am doing 25 at 4500rpm and it is a 14p prop what should i go with to close the gap between speed/rpm?And could you send me that file on jets. THANKS

I took my lower leg off to put

I took my lower leg off to put on my jet and i see a small hose or air line fitting on the lower prop leg do you know what it is.

"looking at buying mariner mot

"looking at buying mariner motor,40m 6E9S002693.what year is this motor?Also,what fuel ratio does this take?Thanks for any info.Greetings from NewZealand,great site!"

"Reggie, that is a 1982, 100%

"Reggie, that is a 1982, 100% Yamaha built Mariner. You may also see it listed as a Model 40C - twin carb without auto-blend.

This will mix at 50:1 - regular unleaded gas and "marine" TCW-3 rated 2 stroke motor oil (any brand) will work fine..."

Hi
I just got a Mariner 45 s

Hi
I just got a Mariner 45 serial # OA737028 and do not know what yr it is. It does say oil injected and was made in Canada. Would appreciate any info on it.
Thanks

"Canadian motor Eh! Merc Canad

"Canadian motor Eh! Merc Canada wasn't too particular about keeping good records - at least none that they published. But I have scratched together most of them over the years.

Anyhow, you motor was built either in late 85 or early 86 - probably sold as a 1986 model at the store.

Parts from either Merc or Mariner models built between 85 and 89 will be compatable."

"Thanks Graham
Would you know

"Thanks Graham
Would you know if there is any online manual. Since its oil injected, shouldnt there be a place to hook an external oil tank? I only see a fuel line fitting on the motor?"

Those motors used a seperate i

Those motors used a seperate injection tank! If you have that tank you should throw it as far away as you can and mix oil and gas at 50:1 and sleep at night.

"As London Marine states, this

"As London Marine states, this would have been an "auto blend" system and fortunately, it sounds like it is gone - so mix at 50:1 and forget about trying to replace it.

As to a manual - look over on the top left of this page - Andrew (who runs this site) sells Seloc's on-line manuals."

Thanks Both
I just spoke to t

Thanks Both
I just spoke to the previous owner and he did say that he always ran w/ oil tank and the last time he had it serviced they told him there was a problem with a shaft in the bottom end and if it ran on low speed it could seize???
I did find a manual but think its going to shop next week

Back