Logo

1997 Force 40hp lower unit oil leak

afuqua

I just inherited a pontoon boa

I just inherited a pontoon boat with a 40 hp force . I had to travel 400 miles with the boat(a bumpy ride) The engine was trimmed in the up position and had been this way for about a month due to dead battery. I parked the boat in my driveway and 24 hour later I had a 10" oil spot that leaked from the lower unit. I called the person I got the boat from and they had no oil spot. I can not pinpoint where the oil came from. I pulled the propeller off and it dose not appear to come from that are but the prop did have just a little oil on one side. I guess my question what could jar loose on a road trip and where are all the suspect points to check and when I find the leak how hard is the lower unit to work on. This is my first outboard. I have a 3.0 Volvo that I have did lots of work on. Any help would be appreciated.

"The oil may be gear oil from

"The oil may be gear oil from the lower unit. Easiest way to check is drain the lower unit and see if it has anything in it (or has enough in it).

I guess it is possible that either the lower unit plug (screw) or vent screw was not completely tight and worked it's way loose with all the bumping (maybe), however, draining the unit and pressure testing is the only sure way to tell if it's a seal leak.

A leak is usually corrected by replacing the seals - the lower unit is removed completely and provided nothing is seized, a fairly easy job that you can complete in an hour or two - also a good time to change the waterpump impeller since you need to remove it to get to the seals on that end of things...

A manual however, is a must..."

does anyone know what year a c

does anyone know what year a chrysler force 35 serial number 1078 and model number 304 BA is?

"Dannielle, that model number

"Dannielle, that model number doesn't equate out to a 35 horse.

The 304 breaks down to 30 horse, the BA (which I suspect is actually an HA) would make it a 1973/74 model"

Back