Logo

PRO V 150 POPPET LOCATION AND FUNCTION

stang645

WHERE IS THE POPPET VALVE LOCA

WHERE IS THE POPPET VALVE LOCATED ON MY 91 PRO V 150. WHAT IS ITS FUNCTION
WHY WOULD IT CAUSE AN OVERHEAT ALARM ONLY AT RPMS ABOVE 4000. BELOW 4000 OPERATION IS NORMAL
AND WHAT SHOULD MY WATER PRESSUR BE ON THIS MOTOR

"Nathan, can give you an idea

"Nathan, can give you an idea of what it does, as to the specs, someone else will have to jump in.

Typically the waterpressure in the powerhead will range say between about 6psi and 20psi in a motor of that size.

In order to allow it to get up to operating tempurature at idle or start-up, when the impeller is turning more slowly (lower rpm) the poppet valve stays "closed" restricting the total waterflow in the powerhead so that it doesn't run cold. The thermostat regulates the temp at that point.

When you have the rpms cranked up, the pressure created opens the poppet valve, and provides for second stage cooling. The impeller at this point may be pumping upwards of 30gals a minute or more and the water has to go somewhere, while cooling down the cylinders from the increased rpm.

If it doesn't function properly, remains closed or leaks etc, the engine will overheat from a lack of cooling water.

On most motors they are located in the vacinity of the thermostat(s), but having never seen a big Yami myself, I will defer that to someone who knows..."

Back