Logo

Exhaust manifold one cylinder 60 degrees hotter than others at block

sailorocn7

"Greetings,
Detroit

"Greetings,
Detroit L 71 16 cyl w/ blowers. due to white smoke at idle I began measuring individual exhaust manifold temperatures w/ infrared heat gun at each base of the manifold where it connects to the cylinder head. I recorded readings of 160' at all cylinders except 1 that reads 260' ? Whats up with that?
I replaced the injector/ adj exhaust valve clearance/ calibrated inj and timed still problem.

Regards, Jimmy}"

white smoke can be from to muc

white smoke can be from to much idle time or broken rings.is this engine in a boat?if so did you test under f/l.the cyl at 260 is probley your best cyl and the other are low. best why to find whats up is to remove air box covers and inspect piston rings for wear or broken.

"[b]Good Advice,

"Good Advice,

However: these engines are marine and 16 cylinders ea. ( port and starboard ) a total of 31 cylinders average 160'F and 1 220'F?? I was succesful this morning at adjusting exhaust valve clearance to open valves more and reduced to 180'F? I think this is OK and diminished white smoke too. I am just trying to understand whats going on because I have usually located a misfiring ( NO FUEL ) injector as a colder cylinder and have never seen a cyl this hot ( at the manifold) I do understand a plugged water jacket could possibly cause this ( dry stack with engine coolant flowing thru portion of manifolds) thanks for the reply, any more thoughts. Detroit V- 71 w/ blowers not turbos. Jimmy
"

Back