Logo

DIVER

diverherb

"I have a 2004 130hp Honda, th

"I have a 2004 130hp Honda, the manuel refers to a check engine light for detecting faults similar to cars. My engine control only has a oil and temp light, no chek light. Can this be added and if so which wires to I need to connect to the "new" light.
Capt. Herb"

When you say there are 3 wires

When you say there are 3 wires I take it that 2 are being used for the oil and temp. Which wire is used for the "check engine" light. And once it is hooked up what is the proceedure for retreiving codes. Thanks for the help
Capt. Herb

"There is a 3 prong connector

"There is a 3 prong connector on the engine. It should be right nest to where the main harness plugs in. Honda makes a small 3" square panel for "check engine" and "alternator". I have tons of them, you can have one if you want one."

"You need to buy a "servic

"You need to buy a "service connector". Look on the engine under the electrical cover. You will see one RED connector - blinded off (doesn't go anywhere). You need to short out the wires in this connector, with the key on. Honda sells a special plug to do this for around 10 bucks. The check engine light will blink to corrospond to codes it has stored. You need to buy a shop manual to figure out what the blinks mean.

To clear the codes, you need to push in the kill button 5 times in 5 seconds with the key on, then turn the key off and unshort the service connector."

"Looking under the engine cove

"Looking under the engine cover I found the red connector that keys the the ecu to retrieve the codes, but I did not see any unused plugs on the engine around the harness. I did find a 3 wire plug that is not empty. Is it possible the wiring is part of the factory harness and is already under my console and not being used? After it stops rainning here I will go out and take a look uner the panel to see if they are there. What color wires am I looking for. What is the cost for the panel you refer to and how would you like founds sent?
Capt. Herb}"

"Okay after checking under cow

"Okay after checking under cowling and under console found one plug under cowling that is already attached to harness leading to front with 3 wires red/blue white/blue and yellow/black. There is a matching unused plug under the console. Is this what I am looking for? And by the way thanks for all the information. You both have been very informative.
In my area Honda outboards are not very popular, I can get help with Mercury and Yamaha, even Suzuki but when I ask about Honda I suddenly grow 2 heads and get no answers.
Capt. Herb"

"You aren't just looking f

"You aren't just looking for any unsued plug. The wires need to be the same color. The plug for the power trim and tilt is the same as for the EFI panel. If you don't have PGMI and Alt. idiot lights on the key assemply or on a separate, stand-alone panel on the dash, that is not the right plug.

Where do you live?"

"I think that you may have mis

"I think that you may have missunderstood. The wiring at the engine harness is the same harness at the console and is not connected under the console but is connected at the engine My panel lights are only oil and temp. I have a seperate voltage gauge. I live in NorthPort, west coast of Florida."

"I understood what you said.

"I understood what you said. The wiring harness that you found is indeed for the PGMI and Alt idiot lights, but since you don't have these, there is nothing to connect the wire too under the dash. I can send you a light panel if you want. Just pay for the shipping."

I appreciate the offer. Will 1

I appreciate the offer. Will 10.00 be enought to cover the shipping? If so I will send money along with address. Thanks again.
Capt. Herb

Back