Logo

Reversing Rotation on a Paragon 11

joe

Regular Contributor
I am thinking of re-powering

I am thinking of re-powering my 1977 251 Chris Craft Catalina. I have been told that I could install a standard rotation (CW rotation viewed from the front waterpump end) engine and retain my original right hand propeller if I switch something around on the transmission. Anybody hear of anything like this? Any pros or cons to doing this instead of installing a RH engine. Current set up is the original 305K.

"Joe, I haven't heard of

"Joe, I haven't heard of any mods for the Paragon as you describe. I'm also skeptical since reversing rotation within the gearbox would require additional gears, losing power and gaining heat in the process.

If you're going to repower, you can go with a complete RH engine with a geared valvetrain, or replace the long block with a pre-86 4-bolt 350 and use the gears from the 305K. Most cam mfg'rs can make a stout cam for RH firing order.

"

" Croozertoo, Thanks I thought

" Croozertoo, Thanks I thought it sounded kind of screwy. Will probably go with the 350 RH long block. Would like to have the gear rebuilt while the motor is out. I have been told that Paragon is out of business and parts are scarce. Any truth to that?
Thanks buddy
Joe "

Is Paragon Marine still in bu

Is Paragon Marine still in business? Do they still make transmissions?

" Dale,

No Paragon is no lo

" Dale,

No Paragon is no longer in business, but some parts are available. I think there inventory and rights were absorbed by Borg/Warner...

Dealers that handle Velvet Drive Borg/Warner should be able to check for Paragon parts availablity based on the Paragon part number. "

Back