Logo

Exhuast position

viequesboy1

Contributing Member
"Just install engine , got a f

"Just install engine , got a few wiring to do , im going thru hull exhaust,my next step is for my exhuast hole ?where should i make the hole ?,above water line, between or below? what is the position of the exhaust hole? my manifold curves at end ? is there a kit or something to go thru hull with this application? what i need? ( its the inline six ) ? do i have to block the outdrive or something? angel desperate to go fishing"

"So you have one exhaust manif

"So you have one exhaust manifold with a riser/elbow, correct?
Usually the exhaust outlet will be lined up as closely as possible in a straight line with the outlet from the exhaust elbow. It should be above the normal water line, and off to one side of the sterndrive.
You will need some kind of 4" OD stainless exhaust tip with built in backflow flapper, to put thru the hull. Seal it with Sikaflex, then run 4" ID marine "wet exhaust hose" between the tip and the riser/elbow. Use 2 ring clamps per connection.
The original downpipe from the riser to the transom plate, should be removed and the opeining in the transom plate covered. Merc makes a cover for this purpose. This should be done before the engine goes in.
If you can't remove the downpipe now that the engine is in, you can rig up a cover for the opening at the top. Just make sure it is waterproof.
Rod"

Back