Logo

Water into engine manifold or

N

Nermie

"Hi Guys,

Have been posting

"Hi Guys,

Have been posting for help/progress of my water logged Volvo Penta 5.7GS.
The engine failed while reversing the boat, so I was looking towards the possibility of an insurance claim for water up the exhaust while reversing. We've opened the engine, and the exhaust manifolds are, of course, in need of replacement.
Water damage is showing on the port bank cylinders, and only a bit on one(1) only starboard side cylinder.
Unfortunately, the surveyor has indicated that, "unless you can show me something else to point towards water-up-exhaust", they'll not accept the claim.

So, guys... I need your experience with water ingress failures. **What are the possible ways that might damage only "one bank" +one-cly-other-bank... with "water-up-exhaust"?**

I just want to make sure that this surveyor is on the up-and-up…
Cheers."

Claiming insurance for this ki

Claiming insurance for this kind of incident is a long shot.

It is probably more easy to find 10 arguments for not accepting than one for accepting such a claim!

"I hate to say it out loud, bu

"I hate to say it out loud, but claiming this on insurance is likely bordering on insurance fraud, if not - and paid for by all of us.

No, better to ensure the engine/drive combo is well maintained (flapper valves intact) so this sort of stuff does not happen in the first place.

If not properly maintained, it is not too uncommon to get water up and into an engine if reversing and engine dies/stalls during the procedure. But, damage does not really happen until you try to start up again (if severe, bent rods, etc) - unless of course the engine is left in this state for a long time and you'll see corrosion instead."

"WellCraft 19... definitely no

"WellCraft 19... definitely not looking towards claiming something that does not exist.
A very large ratio of claims on engine damage are for this sort of accident... and that's what it is. (Ask your insurance co for a ratio.)

Flapper valves work only when there is no flow exiting; during the close-off phase, water can go back up thru the exhaust iff reverse flow (motion) exists... Absolutely no way around this.
It only takes a little slug of water to damage an engine.
This info comes directly from several reputable mechanics, the Insurance Co, and even their surveyor, so I'm happy that it is accurate.

So, my query still stands... experience with this sort of thing?"

"Sorry, but the way I read &#3

"Sorry, but the way I read "engine failed" is that the "engine stalled". Therefore the suggestion to check the flapper valves, etc (far too common problem).

And, there's a lot of engine damage that is not covered - nor should be covered - by (most types of) insurance: running engine w/o oil, w/o coolant, over revving, etc.

So, OK, not knowing what type of insurance you have, I kindly pull back the comment about insurance fraud. One can get insurance to cover for anything - as long as one is willing to pay for it."

"First You may start by splitt

"First You may start by splitting this kind of trouble with refference to: Engines with 'shift assist' and engines without.
Engines with are more vulnerable to this as ignition and thereby exhaust pressure disapears for a short time.
Being on the Volvo Forum I guess this is not Your problem.
Next comes riser hight above water-line.
This is aften not taken enough into considderation by boat-builders and users. Sunny day and some people at the sun-bed: Hight gets too low - water in engine! USER fault! In some cases extended risers have been used, but in that case some engines need a higher mounted exhaust relief outlet than the standard, all depending of installation hight. If this is the case the back-pressure might have been too big - engine stalls.
Another frequent thing is engine stalls when backing out from dock! First question in this case: Had the engine reached operating temperature? If not - user fault.
No 'obvious reason' -engine just stalled: First question: when was last service by AUTHORIZED mechanic? 'My own mechanic' is the worst answer in this case: Leaves You with all responsibiliy!

I might keep on, but it is easier to refuse than accept such a claim unless it may be 'hanged' on a mechanic."

Back