Logo

Wards Sea king 9 hp

sunsetguy

"I just purchased a 1980 sea k

"I just purchased a 1980 sea king Model K900 5106 D and it had KTV 52 809 D on it also, at a garage sale that had not been run in 10 years. It was inexpensive so I took a chance. Put in a new plug and lower unit lube used fresh 50-1 mix gas and she started right away. Questions. is the fuel mix right? I think this motor is air cooled but there appears to be a pin hole in the shaft that looks like there could be a water pump, is there one and how do you go about changing it if there is one?"

"Don, I believe your model num

"Don, I believe your model number should be KTV 52 "3" 09. That would make it a 1979 model built by Clinton. (Clinton equivalent K900). Although it could have been sold as a 1980, the year they went bankrupt.

That hole you speak of is probably just a drain hole (so water can escape and prevent a crack should it freeze) - these are air-cooled and have no water pumps.

You don't want to be using 50:1 though - it will run really nice until the piston welds to the cylinder.

You should be running more in the order of 16:1 or 24:1 - and use normal 2 cycle oil (for chainsaws/lawnmowers) NOT marine TCW3 oil."

Back