Logo

350Q Igntion timing Queston

stephan

" Specs call for 8 BTDC. '

" Specs call for 8 BTDC. '72 Chris craft.

With one engine turning backwards is the timing mark, using an advanceable timing light, TDC if my light is dialed in at 8 BTDC?

I understand that the crankshafts turn opposite directions and the camshafts spin the same direction with one of the engines having a gear driven cam to crankshaft.

Confused..

Stephan "

"I've never used an adjust

"I've never used an adjustable timing light on a reverse rotation engine, but I think you'll be okay. An adjustable timing light uses a calibrated "delay" in the strobe light flash from the time the #1 plug fires, so that the TDC mark on the flywheel or damper can be used as a base reference.

If your engines have a timing scale on the damper or flywheel, the BTDC and ATDC degree marks will be on opposite sides of TDC for left vs. right rotation. However, if your engines use only a single timing mark to be lined up with a static reference pointer, lining them up with a standard or unadjusted timing light means you have the factory recommended advance at the specified rpm, usually around 600.

Careful that you don't dial in too much advance and burn a piston.

"

Thanks for the info.

The

Thanks for the info.

The only mark I can find on the flywheel is something that looks like an "L" and a small round 1/2 way drilled hole close to the "L".

I think my next step is to find True TDC and go from there...

Stephan

Back