Logo

57 280 Volvo prop questions

tmdart

"Hello everyone, I am new to t

"Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I did a search of the forums before I asked this, but nothing really 100% answered my questions.

I have a 26' 1979 Bayliner Saratoga Cabin Cruiser with a 5.7 / 280 Volvo Penta. I have been having issues with my boat (for lack of a better term) "slipping" out of gear when going just barely fast enough to produce a wake. I have been told by several people that the bushing on the prop is most likely to blame, and there is a just barely noticable "wobble" to it when you spin it by hand.

So here is the problem. My prop is held in place by a cone, with a long bolt running threw it's center. I have read on this forum that there are tabs you have to bend back to remove this cone. The round outerpart of the prop (where the blades actualy attach) sticks out so far that there is no way to reach in behind the cone with even my fingers. The steel part likes about 1/2 of an inch and it would stick out just as far as the cone.

I know that these parts could be cut off, but the prop I have is in excellent shape and is stainless, it would save me a large chunk of cash if I could get the bushing in this one fixed, so I am trying to save it.

Does anyone know how to get the prop off in my case? Thanks in advance for your help."

"Unscrew the center bolt, unsc

"Unscrew the center bolt, unscrew the cone. The tabbed washers are only used on cones with no center bolts."

"Thanks for the responce, I ha

"Thanks for the responce, I have tried to unscrew the cone several times but it does not want to budge. I have tried tapping it slightly with a hammer, and used some WD-40 as well. I was going to try some heat, but I didn't want to mess anything up, as I want to reuse the prop. I was also thinking of getting some "lime-a-way" or "C-L-R" to see if there is some hidden calcium build-up."

"Put a 2 x 4 soft-wood between

"Put a 2 x 4 soft-wood between the prop and cavitation plate.
Then heat the cone with a propane torch and it should get loose. You may safely stand on the bar through the cone, providing it does not bend!"

Thanks again. I was worried th

Thanks again. I was worried that putting that kind of force on it might bend something in the outboard itself. I will try your idea tomorrow and will let you know!

"I have another quick question

"I have another quick question. If I do wind up buying a new prop in this process, the local marine here sells a 3 and 4 blade prop for my boat. I have a 3 blade now, but I never have been impressed with the takeoff of my boat. Would you guys reccomend the 4 blade or a 3 blade with a different angle?"

"Remember, "that kind of f

"Remember, "that kind of force", some 200+ hp, is put through the drive on a regular basis, but if you really plan to "stand on it", I'd put a support under the drive skeg just in case.

Joking aside, I've never experienced a prop cone that is that tight. I've put a small metal rod through them and loosened them up.

Once when I had a propeller break in the middle of the lake, even a long allen key was enough to untighten the cone.

If you are pleased with the propeller diemension, buy the same one. Or if you want to experiment a bit, go to a "known" prop shop in your area. If they are serious, they will let you try various sizes/pitches before you buy.
It -can- make a world of difference!

Morten, BTW, just scanned through your site and looked at a bunch of your photos. Nice "voyage"! A dream for many of us.

Being Swedish (but now in the U.S. since 1993), I've spent endless summers in Norway and have my secrets spots around Stryn nad Lom. If money was no issue, I'd move to one of them in a heartbeat!
Take it you have settled well in Malaysia."

"If the local marina is 's

"If the local marina is 'serious' they'll let You test and find what suits You.
Normally 4-blades gives more push at the lower end, 3-blade for top speed."

"Wellcraft:
I guess there is

"Wellcraft:
I guess there is a first time for everything! The previous owner of my boat had it for nearly 10 years. He told me that he only used it 3 times, and just didnt want to part with it. It is entirely possible that this prop has been on this boat for 11+ years now. I don't know if that makes any difference or not....

Morten:
I have actually been trying to find one in my area that has them in stock to fit my boat. They have told me that if I buy one and return it in a usable condition they will take it back. They want nearly $400 for 4 blade stainless one, so I hope I don't mess it up.
"

"Derek,
If it's been sitt

"Derek,
If it's been sitting there for so long, be glad you're in freshwater!
happy.gif

A stainless prop will break just a nicely - or better - than an aluminum one if you hit anything. For $400 you can buy AT LEAST two alu props.
Not sure how much you use the boat and if the stainless might give you discernably better fuel economy. In such a case, a stainless steel prop might be worth the extra dough..."

"Sounds fair enough. You break

"Sounds fair enough. You break it - You pay for it. Just remember to rinse well in fresh water after test, and invest in a new center screw for the cone WITH the nylon lock! Most probably You will need a new nylon washer between the prop and cone as well."

I usually put a 2x4 under the

I usually put a 2x4 under the edge of the prop blade use a long allen wrench that just fits the hole and tap it with a steel pipe to take the cone off. Sounds like yours is really stuck!

"Well, I went out this morning

"Well, I went out this morning to take my prop off. For some odd reason I had a hard time getting the bolt out. I didn't remember putting it back in more than hand tight. After I got the bolt out, the cone was loose! I don't know if the WD-40 finally broke it loose, or what happened, but I a not going to complain. Now, I have to wait until tomorrow for the marine supply store to open.

I also found out that the "wobble" I had in my prop was really only in the cone, not in the prop itself. Somehow it doesn't seem to screw on right. I am going to replace it when I get my prop fixed.

Thanks again for everyones help."

Back