Logo

Engine too low in water

M

mangell

"Any advice appreciated - I ha

"Any advice appreciated - I have a 1990 2.5 hp Mariner that I'm using on a sailboat. The sailboat has a very shallow transom. I currently have the motor mounted on a articulating (lifting) motor mount. The mount is already positioned near the top of the transom. In the up position, the motor is completely out of the water. In the down position, the motor is submerged to about mid shaft (I can only position the motor up or down, not in between). The water is over the cavitation plate and I believe the exhaust port. Will running the motor in the down position damage the motor? Does this motor (a 2 cycle) typically exhaust below the water line?

Thanks!!"

"Mangell, I assume you are jus

"Mangell, I assume you are just using this to push you in and out of your docking?

The motor will exhaust below the water line just fine. Normally you would want the motor positioned at the proper depth so that it will neither suck air from being too high, or drag too much from being too low.

However, in your application, where I assume you would lift it once you are clear of the harbour - (and let your wind power take over) I think your set up will work just fine...."

"Graham,
Thanks for your comm

"Graham,
Thanks for your comment. There may be times more extended use is needed (i.e. if the wind dies and I'm far from the slip). I think that the engine being too low adds drag and probably different stresses on the transom, but I was more concerned about the motor.

Never having had an outboard before, I wasn't sure if critical intakes/exhausts, etc. were being submerged that shouldn't be.

Thanks again."

"Mike the drag should not be a

"Mike the drag should not be a huge issue either. At that horsepower you are pretty much just pushing your boat along.

At a higher horsepower it would be noticeable. I have had a 2.5 horse mounted on a canoe, and simply because of fact that the canoe is alot lower than 15" the motor was lower in the water as well. It ran more than fine and pushed the canoe along quite well..."

Back