Logo

Tech Specs on 1975 Johnson 70hp

D

Dan D.

"I have a 1975, 70hp Johnson o

"I have a 1975, 70hp Johnson outboard, model #70ESL75E and serial #14285352. I've searched and searched for the tech specs for this motor but no luck. I want to sell it and would like to be able to give potential buyers more info than..."Yeah, it runs". Even a website sugg. would be great! Thanks for the help."

"Dan, what exactly are you aft

"Dan, what exactly are you after - I can look up things like what is the recommended plugs/gap, wide open rpm range etc.

If you could give an idea of what you are after maybe we can help you out a bit..."

"Thanks for responding, Graham

"Thanks for responding, Graham. Sorry I wasn't specific before! Here's what I'm really looking for...
-2 stroke or 4 stroke(buddy sugg. it might be 4 stroke)? -Oil injected? -WOT RPM range?
-Torque est.? -For selling it...What's a reasonable minimum price I should ask for if it's in "good" running condition with "fair" apperance? I am utterly clueless. Thanks for helping a newbie!"

"Dan, it will be a 2 stroke, n

"Dan, it will be a 2 stroke, not injected (unless it had an aftermarket add-on), so will require mixed gas (50:1).

Although the motor is a little over 30 years old as long as it is in reasonable cosmetic shape for it's age, that's fine (some scratches etc).

A potential buyer will want to know if it's running? or when was it last run.

The biggest question usually is "what's the compression". If you don't know, have it tested (or borrow a tester and check it yourself).

If the compression is good, the motor runs and it looks relatively "pretty" you can look to get between 500 - 750 bucks for it depending on where you are (what kind of market exists for this horsepower).

A 70 horse could be considered to be in the upper end of "mid-horsepower" engines. Too big for most utility boats, but in the range for fiberglass runabouts and pontoon boats - so again depends on your "market"..."

Thanks Graham! I can't th

Thanks Graham! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer my questions. This info. will be extremely helpful.

Back