Logo

Float Level or Float Drop

maxtor

Contributing Member
"When starting my boat, whethe

"When starting my boat, whether cold or warm, (120 HP Mercruiser) it seems that since I rebuilt the carb, that I have to hold the key for a longer period of time before it finally starts up. Like it's not getting quite enough fuel to start up quick. Before doing the carb, I'd just have to turn the key for a brief second and it would fire right up.

Would a slight adjustment in the float level, or float drop correct this? If so, which one would I need to adjust? If it's the float drop, would I want to give the float MORE of a drop? When I rebuilt the carb, I have the drop and level pretty close to the specs but maybe it just needs a bit more than what they called for."

"Lee
Something obviously is a

"Lee
Something obviously is amiss with your rebuild, It sounds like it could be an issue with float height.
Did you set it as per the manual or did you just guess the height ?

Peter C"

" "When I rebuilt the car

" "When I rebuilt the carb, I have the drop and level pretty close to the specs"

The level drop was set according to the specs that were given with the rebuild kit for my carb. Even being new to this stuff I wouldn't be dumb enough to just guess at the height. So, since it sounds like the float drop, would it sound like it needs MORE of a drop, or less?}"

Carb kits are notorious for pr

Carb kits are notorious for providing the wrong settings. Check the manual for the correct settings.

"Ayuh,.......

It Sounds mor

"Ayuh,.......

It Sounds more like a Choke Adjustment Issue,...
Than a Float Setting Issue......"

"Well Guy, I checked out the m

"Well Guy, I checked out the manual and you were right. There is 17mm difference between the manual and the Carb Kit instructions. I've set it closer to the manual specs, so now I just have to see how it works now.

Thanks for the replies!!!"

"Lee

I said

{{Did you se

"Lee

I said

{{Did you set it as per the manual or did you just guess the height ? }}

You said

{{The level drop was set according to the specs that were given with the rebuild kit for my carb. Even being new to this stuff I wouldn't be dumb enough to just guess at the height.}}

Guy said

{{Carb kits are notorious for providing the wrong settings. Check the manual for the correct settings}}

You said

{{Well Guy, I checked out the manual and you were right. There is 17mm difference between the manual and the Carb Kit}}

I say

That is why you will hear some of us constantly tell people to refer to their relevant manual for their engine and outdrive when carying out repairs as there are differences between the models.

let us know how you go.

Cheers
Peter C"

"See, I just figured since the

"See, I just figured since the instructions came WITH the rebuild kit, that they must have some idea of what they're talking about. But I guess I have learned that they are clueless. It's not like the adjustment measurements from the carb kit were even close. 17mm difference is a pretty big screw up if you ask me."

"Lee
Your dead right it is a

"Lee
Your dead right it is a pretty big screw up but it is not only the manufacturer of your carby kit who makes these type of stuff ups. I have seen many cases of similar incorrect info given with parts over the years thats why I believe a good manual is esential and always your best point of reference.
Never mind, you have learnt a lesson out of the excersise and I am sure you wont get caught again.
Good luck with it.

Cheers
Peter C"

"You know what the problem was

"You know what the problem was right? I've got the manual but I'm still not use to having it, so I don't think of looking in it for everything. Really got to use that book more, as you said, it's a great tool for any boat owner...."

Back