Logo

83 Bayline Force 90 just bought it and FWD broke

deadinwater

"Hello all,

I'm having

"Hello all,

I'm having a bad day.

I picked up this boat yesterday spontaneously because it looked pretty nice, 1983 Bayliner Capri - nothing to spectacular but exactly what i wanted.

I got it for 1500 and compression checked it at 135psi on all cylinders (it was sitting for a year) - took it for a test drive yesterday, everything seemed fine accept it seemed a little underpowered.

so today i went out on it to float around the lake. First i noticed crusing at midrange that i had some steam (and a slight mist of water) coming out of the back port (usually its a stream) so i spent most of my time letting it cool off and didnt run it for than a few minutes at a time.

Aside from that it was running much better than when i checked it out (figured the oil was working its way around, seating the rings)

So on the way (about a mile from where i was sitting) i started getting a noise out of it, about 5 seconds later, POP

and that was the end of my new boat moving forward.

It worked in reverse still though so i ended up coming in to port that way...

Im looking at the shifter linkage (sorry i dont know much about outboards) that goes down into the bottom gearbox and i can see the linkage go up and down. both up and down will lock the prop but down (fwd) seemed to have more play, and when i start it - i get nothing, which i find puzzling

so i'm not sure what to do at this point.

motors are about as much as i spent on the boat - and for 3000 bucks i could have done better than a capri.

I got about 25 million projects going on now, if i can even get parts, what do you guys think the prognosis is??

i haven't even transfered the title, maybe i should just leave it on the side of the road.

-Mark"

Actually its a force 85.
cant

Actually its a force 85.
cant seem to find a serial number.

after a good hour of sulking i guess the LU had to come off anyway for the impeller..

any advise would be appreciated

thanks
-Mark

"Mark, you could have a few is

"Mark, you could have a few issues here - but first things first.

The lack of a good tell-tale (pee stream) out the back which you noted as mist/steam is an indication that yes, your waterpump needs a new impeller at the very least.

Running it that way could have caused a number of "overheating" issues.

Before I even decided to replace the impeller, I would get ahold of a compression tester and check out your cylinders. You may have damaged a gasket or something worse.

Or, if, as stated, you don't really have the time, take it into a shop and ask them to give it a good going over. For perhaps a couple hours of labour they can give you a complete diagnosis and recommendations..."

"Thanks for the advise.

I r

"Thanks for the advise.

I removed and broke down the lower unit today.

Impellor had a broken fin - expected.

the forward gear is shreaded. it looks like it was assembled incorrectly and the gears where not touching completely. i can tell because of the wear marks on the reverse gear.

The brass coupler that pushes the shaft also has excessive wear - indicating that the prop shaft was pushing against it with to much force.

From what i can tell (from bolt heads) i was the first person to be in here, so it makes me feel a little better that the seller didn't 'offload' his problem to me.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.
i ran it in reverse for a little bit and the teeth that feel off have been ground up like a pepper grinder - scratching up the casing.

oh boy - what a mess.

What a better bet - a used LU or a new set of shafts+gears?

84836.jpg
SADFACE

"You may have a bit of job fin

"You may have a bit of job finding gears to replace these. Force hasn't been manufactured for a good few years now and parts are getting difficult to find.

A good used lower unit may be somewhat easier to locate - as these motors get to the point of needing major repairs they are generally "parted out".

You motor being an 85 model is most probably a "pre-Merc" version. Bayliner bought out the old Chrysler outboard division and marketed the motors as "Force".

Bayliner was bought out by Brunswick (which owns Merc) in 1986 and the Force line was continued by Merc using old Chrysler parts/designs.

Now totally orphaned with no support anywhere, the line is slowly becoming extinct.

Something to keep in mind as you are looking for either parts or another complete lower unit. You can pick up a similar vintage motor built by either Merc or OMC for somewhere in the 700 dollar range if you do some looking.

You could probably part out your Force and get a good chunk of that back - something to consider...."

""Will an 89 gear set fit?

""Will an 89 gear set fit?"

Send the guy an Email through Ebay and ask. Include your shaft sizes, gear diameters, and numbers of teeth. Also look for any part numbers that may be on your gear set. Send as much description as you can.

You might also try consulting ....

http://www.franzmarine.com/"

"I'm still debating on if

"I'm still debating on if i should rebuild or replace.

For some reason the gears where not contacting correctly.

I see a gap in the bearing and its seat on the shaft, it seems to be the same gap that are on the wear marks.

Can anyone tell me if this gap is the problem? Can it just be pressed on completely?
84867.jpg
"

"Mark, you can try getting aho

"Mark, you can try getting ahold of the guys at www.discount-marine-parts.com They used to be a Chrysler dealer, have a fair inventory, but more importantly, they should be able to tell you what will direct swap with your lower unit.

Alot of the Force motors were cobbled together with older Chrysler parts. In some model years they produced 30 to 40 different versions of the same horsepower - too much for the average guy to keep track of "what fits what".

I'm sure though that they will be more than willing to let you know if a Chrysler unit will fit yours..."

"Possible seller - he insists

"Possible seller - he insists that this unit will fit my motor, it sure looks like it will.

Hi Mark,

Took some pics this morning in the rain. We are having a real storm.

Check the attached pics. The spline on the drive shaft has 15 splines.
Shaft is 23&7/8" from mounting flange.

I will add it to billphil.com this morning.

Bill

I'll have to count my splines but this sure looks like my unit.

its not the previous one i was looking at,
http://www.billphil.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=86

84923.jpg

84924.jpg

84925.jpg
"

Back