Logo

b87 evinrude 60 stalls

dreamchaser

When I warm the engine up it s

When I warm the engine up it stalls when putting it in gear. Tried moving throttle slow and fast but stalls most of the time. If I get it in gear and run it a while it still stalls when bringing down to idle. I assume the carbs need cleaning as I have'nt done that yet.????? Or is this a simple idle speed adjustment?

OK it could be as simple as id

OK it could be as simple as idle speed adjustment and that is easy to do.But to be sure there is no major problem you need to do a compression test and check for a strong spark on each cylinder.The spark should jump a gap of 7/16" or better.These motors have a history and I recommend you start with the above.

"Compression is 119,121,120 re

"Compression is 119,121,120 respectively and has strong spark. New champion plugs and impeller, starts well and idles smooth once warm (does sound rough at first). Converted from VRO as per instructions on this site. Mix 50:1 top quality 2 cycle oil (Quicksilver premium plus)."

"It is stalling when put in ge

"It is stalling when put in gear ( motor not making enough power to run ) so bump up the idle speed.The ruff at starting is to be expected, after all when a warm motor ( as in from the sun )starts up it cools itself off when filling with cold water.You have checked that thermostat is in place and working???"

"Have not checked the thermost

"Have not checked the thermostat yet....don't suspect a malfunction as the engine runs fine other than when engaging gears. I will change it a soon as I can order one in though. I will also bump up the idle. Thanx much for the help so quick!!!
happy.gif
"

Back