Logo

99 Optimax DFI rattle

dwjohnson

"The motor was having trouble

"The motor was having trouble idling and I checked fuel, air, plugs, wires and found #3 cylinder had no compression and the others had around 110. removed that head and no seal leaks were found. Found the rings were stuck but cylinder not scratched. Used carb cleaner and got them unstuck. Replaced head. Motor ran good until 2 weeks later. My son said it was knocking pretty bad and idled back to landing. Oil was ok, #3 no compression again. Took off belt to be sure nothing external was bad - no luck there. Took both heads off and all looks ok. Rotated crank and pistons move ok and cannot feel any backlash when pressing on each piston. Any thoughts on this?"

"Douglas, it's possible th

"Douglas, it's possible that the connecting rod on your number 3 piston got bent (either causing or as a result of the initial problem), which could account for the knocking..."

"Justin, I'm not sure if t

"Justin, I'm not sure if the ECM was updated b/c we just bought it this past Feb.. We picked it up in Panama City Beach, FL from a local marine repair shop and compession was guaranteed good, it ran good, no apparrant bad noises although one head had the blue injectors and the other did not and the explanation was that the other gave no problems. You're right- we'll do it right and tear it down. I guess it was just our misplaced trust and our bad luck. You have a suggestion on a good manual with specs? How about a parts source? I plan to take off the oil mix and run 50-1 afterwards.
Thanks Graham for the input also."

u can not run premix in DFI mo

u can not run premix in DFI motors!!!
i can get u factory parts if need
shoot me an e-mail

u need all blue injectors also

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
stop.gif
You cannot run mixed gas. The gas does not go into the crankcase only the cylinders. The lower end will lunch!!"

Back