Logo

Stalls under load

dawgs

Regular Contributor
86 merc 170....i know i posted

86 merc 170....i know i posted a few times on this issue...but i forgot to mention it only stalls under load...on the trailer with the ears on it accelerates fine...when its in the water it stalls when i accelerate...carb is rebuilt...timing is ok...any more ideas?

"When you have it on the trail

"When you have it on the trailer, are you putting it in gear and spinning the prop to test it, or using the 'throttle only' button on the throttle lever? ...maybe an interrupt switch issue there.

Other thoughts:
Fuel quality or quantity issue...
Fuel filter/seperator.
Water in the fuel.
You may want to recheck the work on the accelerator pump."

im spinning the prop///putting

im spinning the prop///putting it in gear.....i briefly inspected the interrupter switch that seems to be ok

there are two springs in the d

there are two springs in the distrbutor that can break they are for advance timing check them mine broke and boat stalled in water under load the springs are under the points below the plate you will see four pegs the springs a ttach to the pegs

well i just checked the spring

well i just checked the springs...they look ok....

i dont think the water/fuel seperater has been changed in a while...can that alone give me that problem? where would i find this check ball valve on the fuel line?

ok i checked the ball valve...

ok i checked the ball valve....looks ok but i messes with it a little now the ball is even looser...changed the seperator...now i have to find time to put it in the water to test it out.....i dont know if i mentioned it but it only stalls from a dead stop...when i go from half throttle to full it runs fine

Back