Logo

Here we go again2nd try at getting into boating

col_potter

"I'm new to the boating sc

"I'm new to the boating scene. I posted last week with what I thought was my new boat. Long story short, it didn't work out. The 3.0 Mercruiser started making an awful knocking noise, I'm not sure what it was - rod bearing would be my guess. It ran perfect on the test drive, and for about 30 minutes this time before the noise started. I took the boat back and got my money back.....Dodged a bullet. But now I'm looking again. I don't have a lot of money to spend, about $2500, so I know I'm not going to get anything new or fancy. I'm primarily using the boat for pulling tubes or skiers and running around my local lakes (upstate SC) Fishing maybe once in a while. I've narrowed my search down to two boats and I'd like some opinions from those of you in the know.

1st Choice - 1970 Tri-hull bow rider. Brand is Lakeflite. The boat is 18' and is powered by a 305 chevy producing 180hp. It's a Jetdrive. The boat has been completely gone through last year. New seat covers, new flooring, new carpet and the lower part of the motor completely redone. Trailor is good. Everything works on both the boat and trailer. Boat is sharp! I dont know much about any kind of boat - especially jet drives. I understand that they can run in more shallow water because of the jet drive type set up. I know it will eat gas. Anybody know how much cruising time to expect pulling a tube vs. just cruising the lake? Thoughts on the boat in general? -- Good / bad? I can probably buy this boat for $1200.

2nd boat I'm looking at is a 1979 Thundercraft with an 1988 Chrysler 75hp outboard. Boat was owned by one owner that recently died. His widow is selling the boat. It has been stored in a heated/cooled garage when not in use. It's 16'bowrider with a snap on top and snap on bow cover (both like new). Boat was repainted last year. It has a year old fish finder, new flooring and carpet, and a brand new stainless steel prop. Both boats top out about 40mph, although I'm not sure how a 75hp motor powers a boat to the same speed a 180hp motor does??? This second boat is local, the first one I'm trusting a trusted friend to give me his opinion.

I think both boats will do what I need them to do, I just wanted some feedback from the experts on the forum. Thanks in advance for any points, tips, advice."

"Chris, I'm not an I/O guy

"Chris, I'm not an I/O guy so can't give an opinion on those motors. The top speed does have to do with how much weight the motor is pushing (among other factors).

I am partial myself to Thundercraft boats - just like the way they were built. The original company is now long out of business (the one that built that model year anyhow) but they were revived by Doral and still marketed. The only reluctance I would have with that boat is the Chrysler outboard.

Again, they are long out of business, parts are getting difficult to find (aside from standard maintenance items) and the motors never had a great reputation to start with.

However, both boats being equal, it would be significantly cheaper to repower the outboard (with another "older" outboard) should you ever have engine problems - something you and a buddy could change with a chainhoist.

An I/O would definately require major garage work.

So there is my 2 cents worth
"

"I'm no expert, but I'

"I'm no expert, but I've experienced three or four boats in my life(42 years), and I lived the I/O thing on a 18' tri-hull. The best thing I can say is on flat water it was fast, but any kind of seas, and that boat was miserible to run. Maintinence, of coarse, was harder to do(always standing on your head to work on it).

A 16' tri-hull with a 65 Johnson on it. It was'nt fast, but it was a stable fishing platform, again in calm waters. If not, they bob up and down like a cork. Easy to work on (on your feet), plugs, carb clean-up, all at waist level.

It's always gonna my opinion(not expert, but practical), that in my older years it's easier to maintain an outboard than it is to do it with an inboard. So, if your young and dont mind working below your feet, I/O might be ok for you.

I'd rather spend my time fishing(fun), than working on a boat(no fun), easiest to maintain means more time for fun. In my humble opinion.
2_cents.gif
"

Back