Logo

Pertronix electronic ignition

thostorey

Regular Contributor
"A couple of dumb questions as

"A couple of dumb questions as usual. Will this fit in my AQ 151C? Part number? Source? And finally, how difficult is it to install. Thanks, Tom"

"No dumb questions, Tom. The P

"No dumb questions, Tom. The Pertronix kit for your engine is #2848. I got mine from Lordco in Nanaimo. And you should be able to install it in less than one hour, it's a piece of cake."

"Don't forget to check out

"Don't forget to check out these guys as well. Your engine is on the list, you just need to find out if your distributor is mechanical or vacuum advance.

http://www.hot-spark.com/

I put one on my boat without any complaints so far."

"The "hot spark" invol

"The "hot spark" involves no mods if your distributor has the square hole for the condenser lead. Round hole distributors require that the wire be cut and a grommet installed.

My question has to do with noise suppression condensers. Will installation of a noise capacitor parallel with the alternator red wire (B+ to ground) cause malfunction of the Pertronix?

See filter @
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/lsAlternatorfilter.php"

"A few things here......Eduard

"A few things here......Eduardo, are you sure that the part number you gave me for the PerTronix is 2848? Their web site says the part number for a Bosh 231178017 distributer is #2842. That distributer is supposedly in all Volvo marine 4cy motors?? I could not find a reference to #2848??

I checked the cost of the PerTronix ignition add on at Lordco and the fellow said, special order from the US..$140.00. So, I went to the Hot-Spark web site and found their system for my motor. It is listed at $40 USD plus shipping to Canada. All things are equal, that's got to be the way to go cost wise. Anyone have cautions about the 'Hot-Spark' system? In the pictures it looks very similar to the PerTronix version. Tom"

"Tom, the part number is indee

"Tom, the part number is indeed 2842. Sorry for the typo.
blush.gif

So far I have seen no feedback about "hot spark", either positive or negative. It looks similar to Pertronix, and the price is definitely more attractive than Pertronix. However, if it was me I would like to hear from a few people who has used it for awhile before I decided to install it on my engine.

Did you manage to sync the carbs?"

"I'll give my feedback on

"I'll give my feedback on the HOTS-PARK as soon as I get out on the water. I installed it on my AQ140 but I've had fuel issues ever since. So two rebuilt carbs, new filters, and fresh fuel, blew out all lines and screens and I am hopefully ready to go.

Frankly after looking at the electronic ignitors I'm not sure why they're worth what Pertronix is charging for them. Not sure why they're worth even what hot-spark is charging for them. There is just not much to them. They probably don't cost as much as a set of points and condensors to produce but I guess it all comes down to supply and demand. Only two companies producing them and every body wanting them."

"Yes, I also find them overpri

"Yes, I also find them overpriced, but isn't that how the market works since they are the only ones (that we know of) that make a product we want? Of course, we could all boycott them and go back to points, but do we really want to go that way? Not me.
biggrin.gif
"

"Well, as a bit of a guinea pi

"Well, as a bit of a guinea pig
crazy.gif
I ordered the Hot-Spark module
uhoh.gif
. The cost including delivery is $59CAD. There will be gst/pst to add but that's a lot less than the best PerTronics price I could find and they look to be the same item.
I'll post feedback after I install the beast and give it a try....Tom"

"I think you may be on the rig

"I think you may be on the right track, Tom. I recall reading somewhere that the Pertronix patent has expired, so I won't be surprised if we start seeing more 'Pertronix clones' in the market of equal or even higher quality but much better priced. Which, of course, is good news for all of us.
biggrin.gif
"

I was browsing through a local

I was browsing through a local autopartsatorium and noticed that Accel has a drop in kit for $64... I hadn't noticed that before but I guess it has to do with the patent deal that EP talked about...
I might be a guinea pig on that brand for my other boat... (chris*craft with a 327)...

Back