Logo

Carb setting

G

GHatfield

"Hi Folks;
This is my first p

"Hi Folks;
This is my first posting. I just recently bought an old Johnson 18 H.P. Model #FD17B. I believe it is a 1964 model. It will start and run but misfires. I feel it is a fuel problem as I have checked the points, has new plugs. Wires look good no grounds on ignition system. It has a panel on front with center fuel valve and outer knob that is marked for rich and lean. I cannot find any other adjustments on carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks"

"What is the compression? Does

"What is the compression? Does it have spark (plugs removed) that will jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!?

Spark plugs should be Champion J6C plugs, gapped at .030.

A fixed high speed jet is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.... clean it.

Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back