Logo

Procharger supercharger on your marine engine

switlikbob

Contributing Member
"Has anyone done this? Are th

"Has anyone done this? Are there any risks? I have 5.7 liter Chevy 350 installed in my boat. It's pre-1985 so I think it only puts down about 200HP. My boat needs a lot more than that to get it moving when it's loaded with people. I was thinking about installing a procharger kit on the motor. Are there any explosion risks with doing this? The kit I am talking about is a centrifugal supercharger, which mounts off to the side, thus not interfering with bilge cover clearance. Any feedback / comments are welcome."

"Do it up!!! I don't think

"Do it up!!! I don't think there are any explosion hazards, it is a supercharger.
You may need to make sure that you get some good airflow to the sc and it will be beautimus!!!
There are lotsa superchargers on the lake!!!"

"Isn't the small block Che

"Isn't the small block Chevy pretty easy to hot-rod though? Back when I built my V8 Vega, I seem to remember all sorts of high compression pistons, stroker cranks and high lift cams were available for these motors aftermarket and reasonably priced. I like boost as much as the next guy but think building a 300-325HP Normally aspirated small block Chevy would be a walk in the park."

"Well, I just bought the motor

"Well, I just bought the motor (long block) freshly rebuilt. I was told that the motor was going to be 300HP and had a 300HP cam installed, along with other internal upgrades. Since I was short on money, and I wanted to re-use the components from the old motor, I decided to buy another one with the same casting numbers. Needless to say, I am not pleased with its power output. I do think that some carb tuning is in order, as it seems to be running way rich. I have a 750cfm Edelbrock carb installed. I just bought an electric choke kit for it, as there is no choke. If I can pickup a cheap supercharger kit, I think I could be at 350Hp...at least. As far as letting it breathe, I could just run an intake tube directly to the bilge vent, allowing air to be sucked in from the outside. I am concerned with any bypass valves that might be involved. As long as I can vent them to the PCV system, or back to the carb, I will be happy."

"Did you swap a 300 hp long bl

"Did you swap a 300 hp long block in place of the pre-'85 200 hp? If you do not notice a significant difference between these two engines I would be suspect. With the higher hp and torque you can spin a bigger prop. Ultimately that's all you should care about.

Before you go swapping on a supercharger I would invest money in a decent intake manifold. If you reused the stock manifold I know you will see a difference with a high rise.

Small block Chevy's are famous for low buck big bang horsepower. I myself would stick to the basics; cams, carbs, intakes, HEI, plugs and maybe even decking heads before I would mess with blowing the engine. Also, you need to check your compression ratio on the new engine. I would geuss its in the order of 9.4:1. Superchargers usually prefer lower compression, in the 8's."

"Well, the motor that was in t

"Well, the motor that was in the boat was shot. So I have no way to compare. I am using a 15x17 prop, but I am only getting 3700rpm fully open. I am pretty sure that the cam in the motor doesn't add a whole lot of hp. I have thought about a new manifold, but I don't think a high rise would leave me enough space to close my bilge lid. Concerning the supercharger, it is centrifugal and would be running low boost. There would be no need to build the motor for lower compression."

"this might be a dumb question

"this might be a dumb question bob, but when you push the throttle fully open have you had a look to see if the butterflys are fully open in the carby."

"Hello, nice conversation. Wou

"Hello, nice conversation. Would you know can i install turbo or supercharger on Volvo 4.3 GL (carburators) and if any one has any experiance or know someone who has the parts,shop or something.
I have a shortage of power, it is 190 HP i was kickassed by the samo model Regal 2150lsc but with GLXi engine (injection) with 220 hp. Pls if you have some info shared it.
Tnx a lot"

"Brendan,

It's a 4bbl a

"Brendan,

It's a 4bbl and I have verified that all butterflies are open at full throttle...I was told that my motor has a max rpm of 4500. I think that a 15x15 prop will be best for me..."

Back