Logo

Mercury 98 HP What Year was it manufactured

E

E. Craig Bogle

" I recently purchased either

" I recently purchased either a late 1970's or an early 1980's (still trying to figure out the Year)Mercury model 110, 9.8 hp (S/N: 3800231)boat motor. Could one of you be kind enough to solve this mystery for me. I also believe it is a long shaft, but am not sure. The best I could find was an article that said I should measure from the inside top of the clamp bracket to the top of cavitation plate which measures about 18". It says a long shaft is 21" and a short shaft is 15"
so mine must be a "shlong" shaft (or perhaps I just don't know what I am doing). Last question is in regards to removing the prop from the shaft as they seem to be mated for life. I have tried WD40, hot water, rubber mallot, and a vodo doll, but nothing seems to want to break up the courtship, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you may decide to offer, Best regards "

E.Craig...According yo your s

E.Craig...According yo your ser# and it is made in the U.S.A. the motor is a 1974. As far as the prop not coming off you will most likely have to put heat to it which will probably ruin the center hub so if its in good shape I suggest you leave it on...DJ

" DJ, Thanks for the fast repl

" DJ, Thanks for the fast reply. I am wondering if the clamp assebbly and thus the serial numbers are the one that came with the motor as it looks a bit more used than the rest of the motor. Did 1974 9.8 motors have a model 110 or come with electronic thunderbolt ignition?. Is there a way to identify the motor by any other means? or are there any distinct design changes that might help me better determine an approx. date. Thanks again, Craig "

Mercury also stamped a serial

Mercury also stamped a serial number on the powerhead. Check the powerhead for a serial number and let us know.
Good Luck

E.CRAIG...According to the se

E.CRAIG...According to the ser# you should have a thunderbolt maker point ignition which can be confusing and expensive to repair if you can find the parts. Your motor if a 1974 will have a metal shrowd. Mercury changed to a plastic shrowd in 1976 I believe. Topic for discussion on sat.T.S.B...DJ

E. CRAIG...I BELIEVE DJ TO BE

E. CRAIG...I BELIEVE DJ TO BE CORRECT ON THE YEAR BUT I BELIEVE IN 1974 THE SHROWD BECAME PLASTIC & HAD THUNDERBOLT CD IGNITION & SHOULD HAVE A SWITCHBOX ON THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE WITH 8 WIRES. TWO OF WHICH SHOULD GO TO YOUR COILS. 1973 & PRIOR HAS A METAL SHROWD WITH MAKER IGNITION WHICH LOOKS LIKE BREAKER POINTS UNDER THE FLYWHEEL.
PS. DJ WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN 1974?
WE WILL STILL DISCUSS THIS AT THE UNION MEETING. T.S.B.

I have a 1995 88hp johnson ou

I have a 1995 88hp johnson outboard
in good condition. The nada value is
$1500.00 does this sound about rite
for this motor

Thank you
Tim

I look to buy a Mercury 9.8h.

I look to buy a Mercury 9.8h.p. with Thunderbolt ignition serial no. 7036297. the saler told me that he think it's a 1986. Is it possible and how much does it worth in canadian money ? The motor is in good shape. do you recommand it?

"i bought a mercury 9.8 motor

"i bought a mercury 9.8 motor model 110 and would like to know what year it is.the serial # is 2509971 thank you,john shyrigh."

Back