Logo

Feels like a clutch slipping

gpd4

"Good morning -
I've got

"Good morning -
I've got a '78 200hp Merc that was running great until Saturday evening. I was headed downstream WOT and all of a sudden it sounded like I'd lost the prop - really high RPMs and total loss of forward momentum. I shut it down, raised the motor and thankfully, my prop was in fact still attached.

I started it up again and slowly put it in gear and it moved forward, but as soon as I gave it any gas, it slipped again. I checked the transmission linkage to see if it was going all the way into gear and that looked and felt OK to me. Then I pulled the prop off to see if maybe I'd spun the hub out on it and it felt OK, too.

It still held long and well enough to push the four of us 3 miles back upstream - just not very fast...

Any ideas?

Thanks."

I should probably add that whe

I should probably add that when I pulled the prop I checked and there was no (new) damage to it...so I didn't hit anything on the way down...

Thanks.

It sounds like the hub is spun

It sounds like the hub is spun.Talk to your shop and they can check it / loan you a prop to try.

"I put it in gear (engine

"I put it in gear (engine off) and did my best to turn it - but I was moving the engine rather than the prop...I'll pull it and take it to the shop, though...Thanks."

Back