Logo

AQ 125B backfiring and only hitting 2500rpm

peterb

"Hi all,

My 85 Bayliner Cap

"Hi all,

My 85 Bayliner Capri 125b is not running at full RPM. prior to putting it in this summer I changed the plugs. After about an hour of running fine, it gbegan to bog down and backfire and only go around 2000RPm, then stall out.
I replaces the D-cap and rotor and all was fine again. After about 3 hours of off and on operation, it is doing it again. I can only get between 2500/3000rpm and it is backfiring. I have not replaces the plug wires in the 6 years that I have owned it and do not know how long before they were in. It idles fine and runs great at low speed. I can get over 3000 revving it up at in neutral.Could the plug wires be the problem?

PETE"

"Yes, the wires could be the p

"Yes, the wires could be the problem (either because they are old or because you couldhave swapped two wires by error), and also the ignition coil couldbe starting to fail. Also, the distributor weights could be seized and/or the springs could be broken."

"I havent been back up to our

"I havent been back up to our camp yet. I am planning on picking up my new plug wires on friday (tomorrow) on my way up there and will test it out then. I will follow up when I get home on SUnday. The wires were $129.00 (Ouch) so I am praying that this works as between the distributer cap/roter and this, I am starting to test my wifes patience with the old checkbook!"

I got the feeling that a timin

I got the feeling that a timing belt and repair manual might be a better investment.

Back