Logo

Changing the gearcase oil with no special tools

S

sawyer2000

Hello All... I am new to boats

Hello All... I am new to boats and I just got an old 78 Johnson 50 horse.... I wanted to change the gearcase oil but I cant find any clean way to add the oil in the top screw. It is a weekend and I cant buy/afford the fancy pumps... and I cant find a funnel small enough... any ideas?

easiest way is take a piece of

easiest way is take a piece of clean paper/construction paper and roll it into a funnel. Tape the edge down......fill slowly!!

"Sawyer.... The proper way to

"Sawyer.... The proper way to fill is to fill from the bottom drain screw hole until it flows from the top oil level screw hole.

Any attempt to fill at the top oil level hole will be meat with resistance in the form of a air pocket..... and it's quite unlikely that you would ever have the correct amount of oil in that lower unit.

Fill from the bottom screw hole until full. Insert the top oil level screw to create a air pocket. Be ready to insert the lower drain screw..... and as soon as you remove the oil tube (or whatever you're using), install that drain screw. With very little practice, you'll find that you'll lose only a drop or two oil oil if that much."

Back