Logo

Volvo Penta MD1B black smoke at full load

lavaux

"My engine gives a black smoke

"My engine gives a black smoke at full load. Have changed injector but no improvement. Believe this comes from unburned fuel, i.e. too much fuel injected.
How can I adjust this?
Any manuals available for adjustments?
Thanks for your help."

This may be trivial but make s

This may be trivial but make sure your prop is clean as well as your hull. If the engine can't acheive operating RPM it will smoke black. One barnacle on the prop of my MD5B/110S will do it!

"Thanks, Gordon!
I will check

"Thanks, Gordon!
I will check this. It may well be that the engine cannot anymore achieve its speed.
Wilfried"

"I also have an MD1B Volvo Pen

"I also have an MD1B Volvo Penta single cylinder in my Duncanson 29.
I purchased it one year ago and was told the engine had been overhauled and had had a valve grind new piston and rings and gaskets.
I have had so many problems with it since then that it would take a book to relate them all.
I had to replace engine mounts and re align with the drive shaft as the flywheel was rubbing on the bed which acted like a break and burned our the belts to the starter motor.
Now the engine is running free and starts first pop but when I engage the prop and apply power
it seems to run a bit slow plus I observe black smoke and sooty oil coming from the exhaust.
I have cleaned the prop and the hull to no avail.
Can anyone please tell me if they have experienced these problems and how did you overcome them.
I live in Port Macquarie (NSW Australia and the bar out of the river is a bit tricky. A reliable engine is a must when crossing it.
170192.jpg
Carpe Diem

"Richard, Because piston was r

"Richard, Because piston was replaced you should check amount of piston to head clearance at top dead center. There is a certian amount that is required. To small, and you do not have enough air(black smoke). Easiest way at this point is to remove injector and slide in a piece of hollow solder. Rotate engine and smash flat. Remove and measure thickness. Should be 0.8-0.9mm and as close to 0.8 as possible.Another thing to check is that piston was installed correctly. Combustion hole under injector tip. Hope this helps."

"Hi Dick V,
What a tricky ide

"Hi Dick V,
What a tricky idea. I will give that a go next time I am on the boat.
Thanks so much.
Regards,
Richard C"

Back