Logo

55hp linkage problems

irishmedic

"I recently purchased a used b

"I recently purchased a used boat that came with a 1975 Chrysler 55HP motor. The guy I bought it from stated he tried to adjust the linkage but could not get reverse on it. I don't know much history for this motor. He gave me a spare 55HP motor for part and the lower unit was off it. All he stated that he changed on it was the impellor. When I adjust the linkage, I can only get either forward and neutral, or reverse and neutral. It's seems like the cables aren't pushing them far enough. I've tried new cables and checked the gears in the control box and all looks good. One time to my surprise, I got reverse and forward out on the water, but when tried again it was gone w/out any adjustments. Also, when shifting into forward, it seems to throttle up before going into gear. Any ideas? Thank you as I am just getting to know about this."

"you need to adjust those cabl

"you need to adjust those cables, it sounds like they are way off

time to get a manual for it"

I adjusted cables too in both

I adjusted cables too in both directions according to two manuals I bought for it and other forums I've researched. Any other ideas?

"Work has kept me away from wo

"Work has kept me away from working on it, hopefully will have time to work on it this weekend. What would you recommend for a cleaner on it? There is a lot on gunk on the shifter shaft below the coupler, wiped the coupler clean when attepmting adjustments on that."

Back