Logo

Interceptor 361 amp 390 HP question

keatonboat1

"Looking to confirm if I have

"Looking to confirm if I have this information correct. I believe the Interceptor 361 was 260hp and the 390 was 300hp. Is this true? I have an old Interceptor brochure from Dearborn Marine Engines printed in 1959, but it only lists information/specs for the 256 through 361 cu in engines.

Thanks, Mark"

"Hi Mark,

To be honest with

"Hi Mark,

To be honest with you, I didn't know the 361 was even used in marine use until now. It is commonly thought of as a truck block, with different crankshaft nose and pulley requirements up front, but I think most all the other FE engine parts will bolt on. Not sure about the intakes.

The truck blocks would make a great marine motor, reinforced, and most had a forged steel crankshaft too. Even the 427 didn't come with a steel crank, the cast iron one was thought to be very good and I guess they didn't need it. The 390 shares the same crank with the 427.

My Interceptor manual shows three motors, the 352 at 250-hp, the 390 at 285, and the 427 at 300.

Since my manual shows the 427, it was apparently a 1965 or 66 manual. I know Chris Craft, for instance, didn't use the 427 until 1966. Of course, Ford didn't build a 427 until half way through 1963, so that helps narrow it down a bit.

The 390 is well capable of 300-hp, and I understand Interceptor (Eaton Dearborn Marine) provided Higging with a 400-hp version of the 390. Not sure just how accurate this is, but MISS HIGGY, a Higgins a buddy of mine has, with a 390, came from Higgins (so he says) with the 400-hp option.

With the added cubes, it is realistic to think the 361 would produce 260-hp. The heads are the same as all the other FE motors, to my recollection, which means they can be cleaned up a bit and perform very well, indeed, if some free additional horsepower is desired at rebuild time.

Just for a point of information, here are a couple scans from my chris craft site, for your reading enjoyment and 3-ring binder!
happy.gif

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1123099503

Regards, P
http://www.chriscraftcommander.com"

"Thanks - doesn't look lik

"Thanks - doesn't look like my last message posted.
Anyways, I appreciate the info. The engines in question are in a 1965 and 1966 Keaton. The 1966 is supposed to have a 390/300hp and from the picture of the 1965 there is a 260hp decal on the valve cover which led me to believe it was the 361cu.

Anyways, if you like I can scan the 1959 Interceptor brochure I have and send it to you - just let me know.

Thanks, Mark"

Once I modified a 352 cu in Fo

Once I modified a 352 cu in Ford to 361 by using an 361 Edsel piston. It is .050 oversized. Perhaps this is the engine a 361 Interceptor is based on. The only difference in the 352 and the 361 was the piston diameter.

"HiBob,

Interesting info on

"HiBob,

Interesting info on your 361 cubic inch mod. I have no doubt that the 352 block had enough iron in those cylinder walls to take a larger bore piston, but the FT series (Ford Truck) of the FE engine family used some internal reinforcement in the blocks, a forged steel crankshaft (in many cases) and that crank snout has an entirely different front end dimension for accessory belt pulleys, etc. Therefore, if the motor under question is, indeed, a 361, then I believe it's a truck block which is probably a lot stronger motor than the automotive version of the 352.

For a moment I thought the gent was talking about the 360-hp 352 (solid lifter motor). In any case, a FE or a FT would make a great boat motor, and either one would be able to run like a scalded cat with the right cam, pistons, and fuel delivery system.

Regards, P"

Well this is proof that the older you get the more you learn.
Here we are "how many years later???" commenting on the same old thread, but with new info !!!!!

Interceptor did, indeed, use a 361 and here is the proof.

With the introduction of the 332/352 was the 361, an FE big-block available only in the 1958-59
Edsel and 1958 Ford Police Interceptors. The 361 had the 332/352s 3.30-inch stroke. However, it
had a larger 4.05-inch cylinder bore the same as the 390 to come later in 1961

. Int3.jpgInt4.jpg

Back