Logo

125 hp engine kicks back at full throttle

smittyballz

"I have a 1987 I believe 125hp

"I have a 1987 I believe 125hp force engine. First question is how many rpm's should the engine normally go up too. Mine just barely reaches 6000 rpm's. Also when it is fully throttled it kicks back and does not run properly any ideas as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated.
"

"Joshua, your max rpms should

"Joshua, your max rpms should only be 5250 - so if she is cranking up near 6 grand it is no wonder she is kicking back on you. You are lucky that it hasn't thrown a rod..."

Thanks for the info. So is it

Thanks for the info. So is it normal for a 125 h.p. engine on a 17.5 ft larson open bow to only go 30 mph. and should I adjust the throttle as well? Thanks again

"Is it "normal" - what

"Is it "normal" - what's normal - how much does the boat weigh? what's the total load with pasengers etc? those will contribute to top speed or lack of it..

Also, if this is hitting almost 6 grand in rpms, you are way under propped - you could up your pitch by 5", get down to where you should be for rpms and be pushing that much more water increasing your top speed in the process - probably about another 10 mph.

Properly propped you should be getting in the 36-40mph range with that set-up depending on your load and weight distribution onboard..."

Back