Logo

8384 Merc 90HP drops cylinder

upsguy

"I have a glastron ssv-167 wit

"I have a glastron ssv-167 with 90 hp merc, i believe it's an 83-84.eng serial num 6623509.The problem is the motor will lose power on an irregular basis and become hard to start. If u let it sit for awhile it will run strong again. I don't have alot of experience with marine motors but it seems like it drops a cylinder when she gets hot, but it doesn't happen every time u use it.I have had a local marine mech look at it and he can't find, or isn't} capable of finding the problem,and dealers wont work on old motors(at least thats what they told me).ANY help would be greatly appreciated."

"Troy, to start with, your mot

"Troy, to start with, your motor is a 1985 model.

Your problem could be one of a couple of things.

The next time that it becomes hard to start would be a good opportunity to check the spark at each cylinder. This would either confirm or rule out an ignition problem.

The other thing that could cause it to lose power and hard start would be a fuel problem. It could be a clogged tank vent, tank pick-up, fuel line, fuel filter, fuel pump issue or dirty carbs.

But if you can rule out the ignition (which could entail possibly a bad switchbox or coil among other things) then you could concentrate on the fuel system...

And yes, not alot of places want to work on an "old motor" - if they can't plug it into a computer that will tell them what part to replace, alot are not interested. Half the "techs" were still learning how to walk when your motor was built.

However, keep looking and ask around - I'm sure eventually you will find someone if you don't want to learn how to do the work yourself...."

"Troy,

An intermittent igni

"Troy,

An intermittent ignition problem can be the most difficult problem to troubleshoot. I would guess the stator may be bad, but it could be the switchbox or trigger also. We always advise customers to replace all three anyway, because it can be tough to actually figure out which component caused the initial problem. Most manufacturers advise the same.

Tony"

"Here is a little more info an

"Here is a little more info and another question. work order from tech says compression 160PSI in all cylinders and spark good,heat tested ignition componets and lake tested. The stator was replaced by previous owner and problem persited.I am currently waiting for service manual from SELOC. Will this manual take me through the procedures you both suggested?, and what specialty tools are an absolute must have to perform work.I know 2 stroke motocross engines,done that all my life,,but do not want to mess this up. Thanks again for your time."

"Troy, Selocs will have all th

"Troy, Selocs will have all the ignition test proceedures outlined and they have tables giving you what readings you should be getting and what selections to make on your test meter..."

Back