Logo

Primer bulb

"On my 1993 johnson 150hp the

"On my 1993 johnson 150hp the primer bulb keeps going soft while engine is running in neutral in water. Tried new bulb and hose, and hooked up an external tank with fresh gas. Same problem. Any suggestionson how to solve this problem? Help!!!!"

"Albert..... The fuel primer b

"Albert..... The fuel primer bulb will never stay full of fuel unless it is in a perfectly vertical position.

Normally the bulb is laying horizontal, and when first primed, it is full of fuel and quite hard.

However, when the engine is running (bulb is still horizontal), the fuel level will drop down to being half full. Factory reps have never been able to explain this happening to me.... it has simply been said that it is the nature of the beast so to speak and is to be considered normal.

Now, if the primer bulb goes flat, that is another matter which is caused by a fuel restriction between the fuel pump and the fuel supply.

Now, having said that.... what is happening with your engine?"

Not that I want to steel this

Not that I want to steel this thread.......but what if we install dual primer bulbs? Will this help with constant pressure or will it cause the fuel pump to work extra?

"Joe, the bulb isn't going

"Joe, the bulb isn't going flat, just gets soft,not as hard when full. I cleared my vent line ,and installed a new fuel/water seperator. Also replaced the inline filter as well. Will try to leave the dock tomorrow and take it for a ride."

The primer bulb is nothing but

The primer bulb is nothing but a manual fuel pump to fill the carburetor/s. After the motor starts it just does not matter and it usually goes a bit " soft " ----- It just does not matter.

Back