Logo

Off Topic Taylor Made Hot Shot boat covers

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"I am looking to buy a new cov

"I am looking to buy a new cover for my circa 1972 16.5 foot V-Hull I/O runabout and am considering a Taylor Made Trailerite cover made with "Hot Shot" fabric (http://tinyurl.com/3x8gb4). My boat is trailered and covered all the time, except when I take it out a couple times a month on weekends. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this cover?

Also, I have noticed that this cover does not come with tie down straps, and you can buy tie down kits. My current cover has straps that go all the way around the boat instead of the ones like in the kits which seemingly are meant to be attached to the trailer frame. Using the tie downs in these kits would make removing and installing the cover more work it seems since the strap would need to be removed from, or attached to, the trailer frame each time the cover was removed or installed, instead of just unbuckling the strap from one side of the cover and leaving it attached to the other side of the cover when the cover is removed. This is somewhat of an issue for me as my boat is trailered and I keep my boat covered all the time when it is not in use. I suppose I could jerry-rig some straps to go all the way around the boat that would be similar to the straps I have on my current cover.

Thanks for any ideas or comments!"

"Bob, I am currently using a f

"Bob, I am currently using a fabric similar to "hot shot" called "pro-tuff" - these are considered waterproof (because of the acrylic/plastic bonded with the material) as opposed to just water resistant (material like Sumbrella).

I guess there is trade off's in both directions, but I have found that it doesn't breathe well at all. To the point, if the boat is just parked, covered, if I forget to leave a flap up for ventilation you get all kinds of condensation on the inside.

It is very tough though, also use it for my sun top and after 3 years it's still like new - so durability is there...."

"Thanks Graham. Since I leave

"Thanks Graham. Since I leave my boat covered the majority of time, and for 3-4 months in the winter, I think I will pass on the Hot Shot cover.

I'm having a hard time finding an affordable alternative for a 16.5 foot v-hull runabout though. The "universal fit" cover I have now cost me only about USD$85 and it's lasted well for about the past 5 years but now has a hole where the corner of the windshield created a stress point and tore open. Lots of "universal covers" out there but they are either for a 14-16 foot or a 17-19 foot boat. I bought a 17-19 from Costco and it was way too big so I returned it. Not sure if a 14-16 will fit or not, but Costco did not have one of those otherwise I would have tried it."

"Bob, I'm of the same opin

"Bob, I'm of the same opinion. I had one of those (plain canvas) covers from Walmart. Also found it lasted for about 5 years.

I happened to pick up this material fairly cheap when I was having the sun cover made - threw in the boat cover for nothing - so figured, why not.

I think realistically the "life" of a cover is probably somewhere around the 5 year mark. And it doesn't seem to matter if you spend 100 bucks or 300 bucks..."

Just don't use the crappy

Just don't use the crappy tarp I had over my boat last winter. It let in water and dirt all winter. THe boat was amess in the Spring.
Not sure waht brand it was.

Jeff

Back