Logo

1977 Chris Craft Catalina seacock stuck open

joe

Regular Contributor
" After hauling my 1977 251 ca

" After hauling my 1977 251 catalina for the season, The raw water seacock will not budge. It is the original and I noticed a flange on the side with the handle. The flange has two screws. Do I remove them to get the core of the valve out? What is the proper way to service these? What type of grease to use? I need a lesson in seacocks 101.
Thanks
Joe "

" Seacocks are usually not a s

" Seacocks are usually not a serviceable item and if they are nobody does, as the best thing to do is replace it with a new Marlon type. Marlon is a new synthetic non-metallic type that will nor corrode, cause electrolysis, etc. Shine the old one up and use it for a doorstop. Also replace the thru hull at the same time. This stuff is available thru most marine stores or West Marine. Good Luck, Kim "

"seacocks are serviceable ,the

"seacocks are serviceable ,there should be a screw opposite the handle remove same and large washer tap core with a plastic hammer gently and core should slide out. lube with a waterproof grease"

totally serviceable use silico

totally serviceable use silicone di-electric grease

Hi Joe; OLD brass seacocks we

Hi Joe; OLD brass seacocks were MADE to be serviced... the core is tapered for easy removal. Be gentle...I have it on good authority :)-o) one can bend the threaded shaft even with a plastic mallet (mine had not been serviced since Mr. Craft built the vessel). Use something gentle like a Scotchbrite pad to remove any deposits or light corrosion then head for your NAPA store and see if they can blow the dust off of a can of waterpump grease. Steve

Back