Logo

RUNS GREAT THEN WONT START AFTER SHUTTING OFF

trout_troller

MY 1994 9.9 JOHNSON MOTOR RUNS

MY 1994 9.9 JOHNSON MOTOR RUNS GREAT BUT WHEN I TURN IT OFF IT WONT START AGAIN. IT CRANKS AND CRANKS BUT SEEMS TO BE FLOODED. I HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP ..THE COIL..THE POWER PACK IGNITION BOX..THE WATER PUMP...THE THERMOSTAT AND THE CARB HAS BEEN CLEANED. I AM STUMPED!! PLEASE DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS GOING ON?

"David, if your carb is in fac

"David, if your carb is in fact flooding it still may have a problem. You mention that it was cleaned.

Did you disassemble and clean? a bad needle valve, punctured float, or incorrect float setting could cause it to flood on you...."

"I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson w

"I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson with the exact same symptoms. I was going to post my problem, but saw this post and decided to join in. My engine will run hours at a time, trolling, cruising, or idling. But once I turn it off, I must wait 30 min. to 1 hour before it will restart. It seems to be flooding, but only during hot starts."

"I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson w

"I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson with the exact same symptoms. I was going to post my problem, but saw this post and decided to join in. My engine will run hours at a time, trolling, cruising, or idling. But once I turn it off, I must wait 30 min. to 1 hour before it will restart. It seems to be flooding, but only during hot starts."

"Dave,

I agree with the oth

"Dave,

I agree with the other guys. This could be a tough one to figure out though. Another possibility is a leaky head gasket.

Tony"

"If the head gasket was the pr

"If the head gasket was the problem, would a compression test identify it? Also, would it run perfectly with a leaky head gasket until it was turned off, and restarted hot?"

"Tommy, a compression test sho

"Tommy, a compression test should indicate a "leak" whether it be rings, gaskets, whatever. And yes it's possible that the engine would run good, but when shut off hot (and the metal is expanded) the breach is then occuring which is leading to the hard start/no start condition..."

I have a 1999 Johnson 175hp &#

I have a 1999 Johnson 175hp (carb) ...It idles and runs fine when started cold...After it runs for 30 or 40 min. and I turn it off and let it set for 30 or 40 min. it will start but will not idle...I think the problem must be in the electronics but I don't know how or what to check...Please give me some advice...THS

"VERY INTERESTING ...
Like th

"VERY INTERESTING ...
Like the gentleman above I had started to write my own question, but found this and thought it could be the problem with me also.
Have an 18hp 1973 Evinrude. Good shape, clean, etc.
Typical, after sitting up start, is two, maybe three pulls and it's up and running. Runs fine, then if you shut off and try to re-crank, it won't! Five to 15 pulls wearing yourself out to re-crank.
If it were a leak as described above, I understand that a compression test will find it. I would like to try this now and see if I can isolate the problem here.
Cold and hot readings? Take both? Would there be a difference
between the two if this is why we are having these outboards crank cold, but won't re-start warmed up??

Thanks...
Tim."

"Just pulled the plugs. No wat

"Just pulled the plugs. No water on plugs. Maybe good sign for head gasket. Plugs seem a little oily, could this be a vro problem? Going to borrow a compression tester and check. Also someone mentioned a possible choke problem. Is the primer, with the little red flag, the choke? Is there any way to check this for malfunction?"

Has anyone found and answer fo

Has anyone found and answer for this problem yet? It sounds like a pretty consistent problem for many.

In most cases of this sort I h

In most cases of this sort I have encountered over the years the problem lies somwhere in the ignition system.
If/when it occurs use a PROPER spark tester and check.
If no spark - disconnect stop-circuit and re-check.
If still no spark: test output voltage from charge coil.
Whenever an engine is stopped the temperature goes UP and then slowly down again. This temp increase in coils etc might be enough to reduce the coil-output or in cases shorten coils/powerpacks/capacitors/points due to thermal expansion.

"Had suggested to me by mechan

"Had suggested to me by mechanic; that heat could make the coils act like this, in that once warmed up, they have weaker output, then cool down and return to a more normal output, hence, it starts fine when cool, starts hard when warmed up, and reverts to starting normal when cooled down.
I guess heat takes it's toll on coils, and as mentioned above other components as well.
Sort of a pain I may have to live with at least short term... took it out the other day and ran fine... till it warmed up. At least I can get it to re-crank, now the kids? that's another story..Anyway, thanks for the info... will see about it when we get back from trip. meanwhile hoping for my limit!!"

I have a 1984 johnson 70 hp 3

I have a 1984 johnson 70 hp 3 cyl 2 cycle that starts up fine but only runs on 1 cyl I have to maintain a high idle to keep it running. after about 10 min another cyl will kick in and then in about another 10 min all three. it will run fine and restart normaly unless I let it sit to long and it cools down then the process will start over. can anyone help?

What could be the cause of my 200 horse Johnson ocean Runner to have a hard start after warm up runs fine on Full Throttle idles fine but after shut off and sets for 15 minutes it's hard to start

What could be the cause of my 200 horse Johnson ocean Runner to have a hard start after warm up runs fine on Full Throttle idles fine but after shut off and sets for 15 minutes it's hard to start
I have a Johnson 175hp and am experiencing the same problem ,,,,,could this be a carb or electrical problem???

Back