MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default MY 1994 9.9 JOHNSON MOTOR RUNS

MY 1994 9.9 JOHNSON MOTOR RUNS GREAT BUT WHEN I TURN IT OFF IT WONT START AGAIN. IT CRANKS AND CRANKS BUT SEEMS TO BE FLOODED. I HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP ..THE COIL..THE POWER PACK IGNITION BOX..THE WATER PUMP...THE THERMOSTAT AND THE CARB HAS BEEN CLEANED. I AM STUMPED!! PLEASE DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS GOING ON?

Inverary, Ontario, Canada - The Great White North Eh!

Default "David, if your carb is in fac

"David, if your carb is in fact flooding it still may have a problem. You mention that it was cleaned.

Did you disassemble and clean? a bad needle valve, punctured float, or incorrect float setting could cause it to flood on you...."
    Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Tommy H. Guest

Default "I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson w

"I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson with the exact same symptoms. I was going to post my problem, but saw this post and decided to join in. My engine will run hours at a time, trolling, cruising, or idling. But once I turn it off, I must wait 30 min. to 1 hour before it will restart. It seems to be flooding, but only during hot starts."

Tommy H. Guest

Default "I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson w

"I have a 2001 70 hp Johnson with the exact same symptoms. I was going to post my problem, but saw this post and decided to join in. My engine will run hours at a time, trolling, cruising, or idling. But once I turn it off, I must wait 30 min. to 1 hour before it will restart. It seems to be flooding, but only during hot starts."

Default It sounds like a choke problem

It sounds like a choke problem also.....are you sure the choke is functioning properly?
    '74 Glastron Carlson CV16, '76 Merc 1500 ELPT

Default "Dave, I agree with the oth

"Dave,

I agree with the other guys. This could be a tough one to figure out though. Another possibility is a leaky head gasket.

Tony"

Tommy H. Guest

Default "If the head gasket was the pr

"If the head gasket was the problem, would a compression test identify it? Also, would it run perfectly with a leaky head gasket until it was turned off, and restarted hot?"

Inverary, Ontario, Canada - The Great White North Eh!

Default "Tommy, a compression test sho

"Tommy, a compression test should indicate a "leak" whether it be rings, gaskets, whatever. And yes it's possible that the engine would run good, but when shut off hot (and the metal is expanded) the breach is then occuring which is leading to the hard start/no start condition..."
    Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Default I have a 1999 Johnson 175hp &#

I have a 1999 Johnson 175hp (carb) ...It idles and runs fine when started cold...After it runs for 30 or 40 min. and I turn it off and let it set for 30 or 40 min. it will start but will not idle...I think the problem must be in the electronics but I don't know how or what to check...Please give me some advice...THS

Default "VERY INTERESTING ... Like th

"VERY INTERESTING ...
    Like the gentleman above I had started to write my own question, but found this and thought it could be the problem with me also.
    Have an 18hp 1973 Evinrude. Good shape, clean, etc.
    Typical, after sitting up start, is two, maybe three pulls and it's up and running. Runs fine, then if you shut off and try to re-crank, it won't! Five to 15 pulls wearing yourself out to re-crank.
    If it were a leak as described above, I understand that a compression test will find it. I would like to try this now and see if I can isolate the problem here.
    Cold and hot readings? Take both? Would there be a difference
    between the two if this is why we are having these outboards crank cold, but won't re-start warmed up??

Thanks...
    Tim."

Tommy H. Guest

Default "Just pulled the plugs. No wat

"Just pulled the plugs. No water on plugs. Maybe good sign for head gasket. Plugs seem a little oily, could this be a vro problem? Going to borrow a compression tester and check. Also someone mentioned a possible choke problem. Is the primer, with the little red flag, the choke? Is there any way to check this for malfunction?"

Default Has anyone found and answer fo

Has anyone found and answer for this problem yet? It sounds like a pretty consistent problem for many.

Default In most cases of this sort I h

In most cases of this sort I have encountered over the years the problem lies somwhere in the ignition system.
    If/when it occurs use a PROPER spark tester and check.
    If no spark - disconnect stop-circuit and re-check.
    If still no spark: test output voltage from charge coil.
    Whenever an engine is stopped the temperature goes UP and then slowly down again. This temp increase in coils etc might be enough to reduce the coil-output or in cases shorten coils/powerpacks/capacitors/points due to thermal expansion.

Default "Had suggested to me by mechan

"Had suggested to me by mechanic; that heat could make the coils act like this, in that once warmed up, they have weaker output, then cool down and return to a more normal output, hence, it starts fine when cool, starts hard when warmed up, and reverts to starting normal when cooled down.
    I guess heat takes it's toll on coils, and as mentioned above other components as well.
    Sort of a pain I may have to live with at least short term... took it out the other day and ran fine... till it warmed up. At least I can get it to re-crank, now the kids? that's another story..Anyway, thanks for the info... will see about it when we get back from trip. meanwhile hoping for my limit!!"

DonR Guest

Default I have a 1984 johnson 70 hp 3

I have a 1984 johnson 70 hp 3 cyl 2 cycle that starts up fine but only runs on 1 cyl I have to maintain a high idle to keep it running. after about 10 min another cyl will kick in and then in about another 10 min all three. it will run fine and restart normaly unless I let it sit to long and it cools down then the process will start over. can anyone help?