Logo

ENGINE ROTATION

boaterjohn

I HAVE A 89' IMP WITH TWIN

I HAVE A 89' IMP WITH TWIN 454 BOTH MY ENGINES RAN CLOCKWISE. DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE ENGINES HAVE BEEN CHANGED OUT? THE BOAT GOES THRUOGHT THE WATER REALLY WELL . IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE OUT DRIVES CHANGE THE DIRECTION? I'M IN THE OF A REBUILD SO ANY INFO WOULD HELP. THANKS

"All outdrive motors turn the

"All outdrive motors turn the same way. As you suspected, the drives turn the props the other direction.

Jeff

PS: Most new inboards are set up similarly, with the marine tranny reversing the shaft rotation internally."

"THANKS JEFF, THAT HELPS I THO

"THANKS JEFF, THAT HELPS I THOUGHT THAT WAS RIGHT BUT YOU HEAR SO MANY DIFFERENT STORIES. THANKS AGAIN"

outdrive engines are left hand

outdrive engines are left hand rotation.(counter clockwise from flywheel end) regardless of prop rotation.

"[b]"outdrive engines are

""outdrive engines are left hand rotation.(counter clockwise from flywheel end) regardless of prop rotation."

Now you're going to Confuse Everybody,............

It's only Us Mechanics that Ever look at That End of a motor..............

John is thoroughly convinced he has Clockwise, Righthanded motors..........

Jeff answered his question,..... Correctly Btw,....
And never told him that he has it Backwards.............:D

Btw,..... John,...... Loose the Cap-Lock,......
It's considered YELLING,+ Rude in most forums,............."

"sorry. BUT, I thought we were

"sorry. BUT, I thought we were here to try to educate. (the caps are a joke, please don't yell at me no more) happy 4. S."

"me again. in truth, the reaso

"me again. in truth, the reason I wrote that is John was talking about rebuild. would hate to see him think he was working on right handed engines. could cause a lot of problems."

sorry to those i was being ru

sorry to those i was being rude. the mechanic said that both my motors need to be bored .40 over is that getting to thin on the cylinder walls they were standard bore .

"[b]".40 over is that gett

"".40 over is that getting to thin on the cylinder walls they were standard bore ."

Nope,........ That ain't bad for a Big Block........"

"Help- I allowed my mercruiser

"Help- I allowed my mercruiser 5.0 L gas engine ser.#0F429852 MCM#450B100HS to freeze last winter. I am wondering if I can use the following for an exchange - OMC modl# 502STHRCRA,
ser.#J808164 I am quite sure both are GM 305's. If they are interchangable what major problems might I face? Thanks, dean"

"I have a 1971, 318 In my cent

"I have a 1971, 318 In my century resorter, I did not winterize it corrently for the first time in years, and have a crack in the crank shaft vally. I am planning on replacing the engine, I bought a standared rotation engine and relized I need reverse, can I run my Borg-warner velvet drive on a standard rotation engine? thanks Pat."

"the gear can be made to rotat

"the gear can be made to rotate either way.(by rotating the pump)lots of acc's to consider also.alternator,sea water pump,circ. pump, etc. the boat handling will be different as well. some boats (penn yan for instance) handle like a brick with a left hand engine. give it a lot of thought."

Back