Logo

Crankcase and Exhaust Smoke

• Thread starter Kevin - Seattle
  • Start date
K

Kevin - Seattle

"Prior to today I've notic

"Prior to today I've noticed a small amount of breather and dipstick tube smoke coming from my starboard engine. We ran several hours yesterday with no problems and then camped overnight on the boat. At startup this morning we had excessive smoke coming out both exhaust manifolds and the crankcase breathers now puff smoke. The engine sounds normal and water temp is never above 140. No water in the oil or oil in the FW coolant. Removing the breathers from both valve covers did not effect the amount of exhaust smoke.

This happened too rapidly to be only rings, and both exhausts seem to be smoking the same amount. They are leaving a slight oil slick after the wet exhaust, so I'm sure this is not steam. Any idea what broke?"

"Oh - 1974 Chrysler 318 V-driv

"Oh - 1974 Chrysler 318 V-drive, starboard engine only. The port engine purrs like a kitten."

"You might have a valve oil se

"You might have a valve oil seal that failed, or a cracked ring. Is the oil clear or milkshake-like? Either way, I'd get a compression test done.

Jeff"

"The oil is clear. It appears

"The oil is clear. It appears there is no mixing of fluids. I'll do a compression test before starting to tear the engine down so I'll know where to start looking, but I'm not sure what else it will tell me. This "puffing" of the crankcase gasses usually means, what?"

That's what I though. Tha

That's what I though. Thanks for the info.

"FYI - Blown head gasket at #4

"FYI - Blown head gasket at #4, and busted top compression ring on #6. Busted ring screwed up the piston pretty bad. Surprised it ran as well as it did. 2600+ hours - time for an overhaul."

Back