Logo

Buying new batteries for 2001 Mercruiser 57L and need advice

moe4747

"I had an unfortunate alternat

"I had an unfortunate alternator issue 2 weeks ago and I think my batteries may be toasted due to them being run down to no charge. I am going to buy 2 new batteries and was wondering if anyone had advice on the types I should buy. I am thinking 1 starter and 1 deep cycle. However, if price wasn't a concern (and I feel boating with young children puts price way after safety), what would be the advantage/disadvantages of going with 2 deep cycle batteries? Is there a benefit to a starter battery over a deep cycle?"

"Brian:

Your main starting

"Brian:

Your main starting battery should be a standard marine battery. Look for one with 550 - 650 CCA and the highest number of reserve minutes of power. Stay away from the WalMart 800 - 1000 CCA batteries; they are junk. The RESERVE MINUTES are more important than the CCAs. Sears has a very good marine battery which is on sale in SW Ohio right now; don't know about your area.

A deep cycle would work as a 2nd battery if you plan to run alot of accessories off of it that require an extended amp draw. Otherwise I would get two of the same marine starting batteries.

If money is not an issue, there have been good reports about the new SPIRAL WOUND technology batteries--about $135 each."

Back