Logo

73 Rude 65hp 3cyl Fuel Pump

paulholcomb

Regular Contributor
"what are your guys thoughts a

"what are your guys thoughts about putting on an electric fuel pump in place of my vacuum actuated fuel pump? What is the output psi of the stock vacuum fuel pump? My fuel pump is shot, should I rebuild the stock fuel pump or can I upgrade to an automotive type electric pump?"

"always try to fit original pa

"always try to fit original parts to your engine if possible. Sometimes trying to do it better results in a headache. I think a electric fuel pump in these engines will not work because the fuel pressure is synchronized with the engine speed. When rpm is greater, the greater will be the pressure and when lower rpms, lower pressure. A electric pump gives you constant pressure, I think that will not work with these carbureted engines."

"if that's the case, then

"if that's the case, then why do the carbs have a float? variance in fuel pressure at different speeds doesn't help a carburetor. I don't think a marine engine is THAT different from an automotive engine in this regard. A new fuel pump is $70.49. That definately doesn't make any sense!!"

"Paul, an electric fuel pump o

"Paul, an electric fuel pump on a car has a return line as well. If the injectors don't need all the fuel it is sending it is routed back to the tank.

Without variable pressure (controlled by the motor's vaccum) how would you vary the fuel flow from an electric pump.

At idle you would have way too much fuel going to the carb and how could you possibly get it to go back to the tank????? Your carb would start pouring gas once the bowl was full and the float had nowhere left to go.

And if you regulated the pressure so it would idle without flooding, it would starve at WOT...."

"I'm always welcome to cor

"I'm always welcome to corrections and suggestions, Holcomb if something was wrong in my post let me know."

"I agree with you Graham about

"I agree with you Graham about the return line on fuel injection. I was basing my comment on a carburated racecar with an electric fuel pump. My stock car has an electric pump that is set to 7psi.......once the carburetor bowl is full the float shuts off the fuel flow to the carburetor bowl. As the fuel level depletes through use the pressure from the electric pump keeps the bowl fuel to the set float level. You adjust the pressure accordingly so that at an idle the fuel pump bypassing internally keeping from overpressurizing the carburetor float while keeping a constant pressure for when WOT is to be used. Again, I'm new to marine engines and I apologize if anyone fealt like I was stepping on toes. I too am welcome to corrections and suggestions, as most GOOD mechanics are/should be! I think my problem lies with the primer bulb on my tank. I replaced it today. However, I won't be able to know for sure until I get to Nebraska on the 13th. Does anyone know if my fuel pump can be rebuilt? I can't see paying $70.49 for a little pump like this. I paid less than $20 for a complete rebuild kit for my racecar carburetor. Am I just being unreal for thinking this is expensive?"

I did find the rebuild kit for

I did find the rebuild kit for $9 here at OMC!!! Thanks for all of your help you guys. This site is the greatest!!

What part number did you use a

What part number did you use as I need a rebuild kit for mine as well 1973 65hp m/n 63573r

Thanks Jim

Back