Logo

DIESEL REPLACMENT FOR A 470 POSSIBLE

intrepid

"Gettin' tired of all the

"Gettin' tired of all the grief that my 470 is giving me. The local repair shop tells me that a little Mercruiser V-6 will drop right into the existing space for my 470 with only minor modifications required for the doghouse/engine cover (I definitely don't need any major problems with wideniing the doghouse, at least at the top, as I would then lose 2 seats from the boat.

Then I got to thinking... has anyone ever dropped in a diesel engine as a replacement for a 470? I'm thinking I would need at least 150 hp (the 470 is 165 or 170 depending on which source you read). Not concerned about top end, a 22 or 23 knot cruise on plane would suffice so maybe slightly less horsepower would do and enable me to get a diesel engine in that fits without a lot of re-engineering! Any thoughts out there???"

"What is the cost of the diese

"What is the cost of the diesel compared to the
V-6? Is the weight to HP equal? Does it require a stainless steel fuel tank? Will it mate to your OD? I think the throttle response from the V-6 will be better than a diesel--just a guess. If you lose the doghouse, have them install a sun deck. That's what I did when I rebuilt my 19' Baretta. I also installed a bench seat in front of where the doghouse was and now have alot of storage under the sundeck. I also threw out the back-to-back seats and installed two swivel captains' chairs. More room now and seating for 5 in the back plus two on the bow."

"the other day i looked at a n

"the other day i looked at a new 22ft ally boat with a d5 160 hp volvo sterndrive diesel, very compact and powerful, you would need 200hp in petrol to get anywhere near the acceleration of that motor, a diesel has a huge amount of torque at take off that you do not have with a petrol."

"Richard

Anything is possib

"Richard

Anything is possible with the only limiting factor being the amount of your hard earned that you would like to part company with.

Ahh Brendan, I see you are a volvo fan, and you are right, to a degree, but as always with marine applications it involves the total package, The horsepower means very little if it is not being driven through the right final drive ratio's to the right prop.
A total package deal on diesel motor and matching outdrive would be a good option for Richard as long as the money is not an issue.

Cheers
Peter C"

"you are right peter, the outf

"you are right peter, the outfit i looked at was all new with duoprop. but mercruiser have some pretty good diesels too. i am asssuming richard is in the us, they can get new motors for 1/2 what we pay. i priced a new volvo a few weeks ago and the us price was $9000 au cheaper than they are here."

"Brendan.
Thats part of the p

"Brendan.
Thats part of the problem for us over here is the outrageous price we pay for marine gear.
Our dollar value at present is hovering around 86-88 US cents, yet we pay 2 to 3 times the price they do in the USA and Canada for their Marine Gear and as an owner and a repairer that cheeses me off no end.
I have often thought of setting up as an importer and wholesaler of Marine gear but the initial outlay is a big deterant to me at present.
I think they would be amazed over there at some of the prices we pay for just things like Props, Risers and Manifolds.
angry.gif

Cheers
Peter C"

Peter:

Perhaps you could

Peter:

Perhaps you could take a vacation and buy what you need; pack it in a crate and ship it home. You get a vacation and get to see what you are buying.

"Guy
The thought had occured

"Guy
The thought had occured to me before to do that, as you probably gatherd from my above posting, I am fairly cheesed of with what we pay for marine stuff here.
I still havent given up on the idea yet of importing some stuff, I am currently trying to sell my business and some acerage that I own and then I will re asses my desire to bring in some marine gear.
If I do decide to go down that path I may just have to look some of you fellows up, I should be able to get a tax break for a working holiday.

Cheers
Peter C"

Peter:

I am 55 minutes nort

Peter:

I am 55 minutes north of the Greater Cincinnati International Airport which is located in Northern Kentucky. Guy

"Guy

You should be carefull

"Guy

You should be carefull about giving me too much information, you may just get a knock on the door one day when I come looking for that drink.

Its good to have a chat over the box with you.

All the best

Regards
Peter C"

Back