Logo

AQ131D Block swap with volvo car block

C

CKing

"Hello,
I have an aq131d tha

"Hello,
I have an aq131d that broke a rod and pretty much destroyed the block. The block is a b230. The only thing i can find nearby is a volvo car with a b230f, which is fuel injected.The block appears to be cast the same as the b230 but the distributor is in the head on the car engine, with a plug stuck in the hole for the dist. on the block and a plate bolted over the fuel pump hole.I was planning to use the block and put my head,intake and exh. manifold on it. Does anyone know if the b230f has the countershaft in it to drive the dist. and fuel pump because the shaft in my original b230 was broken when the busted rod hit it, so using my shaft is not an option. Or if i used the completed car engine and used the marine alternater and starter what problems would there be,besides giving up some hole shot horsepower. Would the car distributor be acceptable since it is in the head and my marine dist. will not interchange. I could not find a marine dist. for this motor that goes in the head. Sorry for the long post but any help, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated."

"The B230 does not have the co

"The B230 does not have the countershaft installed. You'd need to get one from another Volvo car motor. I believe almost anything '76-84, and maybe slightly later, would have the countershaft. If it has a block mounted distributor, the countershaft will fit on your B230. Just remove the plug where the distributor goes.

I don't know about the fuel pump though. All car engines were injected with electric fuel pumps and the car countershaft probably doesn't have a lobe to run a fuel pump (isn't that how they are driven?).

That head mounted distributor is designed to run with a Bosch ignition computer. Maybe you could convert it to something like Pertonix, but it might be a challenge. There's certainly no points in there.

Volvo car engines are a dime a dozen. The lower ends are extremely robust and almost never fail if you keep oil in them. I've seen hundreds of them at the pic-n-pull junkyards, because nobody ever needs one.

Seems the fuel pump is the dilema here. You'd need to look at a car countershaft to confirm, but I don't believe they would machine a lobe on that thing for a fuel injected, electric fuel pump car.

Hope this helps a little."

Here is a thought....
Run it

Here is a thought....
Run it injected....

Get the computer out of the car and trim the wiring down to the bare minimum and run it like you bought it. The car should have everything you need to make it work.... Fuel economy should be pretty good also...
It would be an interesting build!

"I bouhjt an 82 B21 out of a v

"I bouhjt an 82 B21 out of a volvo 240. It had an electric fuel pump, but the lobe is still on the countershaft. I didn't use a mechanical fuel pump, though. I bought a low pressure electric pump from a parts house for 29 dollars, and a fuel pressure regulator for about the same price to bring pressure to 4psi. It works well.
The b23f is fuel injected, but swapping marine parts will make them work.
It wouldn't be impossible to make the fuel injection work from a car, but it may not run exactly as you might think. The ecm needs input from o2 sensors to adjust the air/fuel ratio.
Look for a B21 block up to 82. They had the distributor, and the countershaft with the lobe for the fuel pump.
It isn't a hard swap!!!!
83821.jpg
"

"If I use the car engine with

"If I use the car engine with fuel inj. would there be any problems with the distributor not being a marine dist.. The distributor off the aq engine wouldn't work because it is mounted through the block where the car dist. is mounted on the head.My last boats distributor was marine approved but I couldn't tell the difference in it from a car dist.. It had points(which I got rid of with the help of Pertronix),rotor,cap,and everthing else that could ignite gas fumes that built up in the engine compartment. What makes a marine dist. a marine distributor??"

"Is the old distributor chewed

"Is the old distributor chewed up? the one from the other engine?
If not, use it!!!! Knock out the "freeze" plug that's covering that hole and stick her in!!!
I still say get a B21, and convert it. I have been fooling with mine for a while, so if you go that route, I can try to answer questions.
Personally I wouldn't try the fuel injection, unless you are ready to have a few headaches. That's not saying it can't be done, but an old engine is best left carbureted."

Back