Logo

30L GS Volvo Penta Rough Idle and Cuts out at Acceleration

helpmyboatrun

"I just bought an '85 Bayl

"I just bought an '85 Bayliner with a '97 Volvo Penta 3.0L GS engine, and am having problems with the engine. The boat has been sitting on dry land for the past year and has not been run in that time.

There are two issues (which may be related), one is that it's rough at idle and the second is that it cuts out when put in gear. When it's idling, it's rough and the rpm isn't stable. It will run in gear from about 900-1200 rpm, but will then stall and sometimes backfire when accelerating.

Since I got the boat about three weeks ago I've changed the spark plugs, replaced the fuel/water filter, replaced the carb filter, replaced the fuel line hoses, cleaned the flame arrestor, re-adjusted the carb, and have checked the timing and the compression.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the timing, I used a timing light and followed the procedure in the Seloc manual, but every time I adjust the distributor to get it to the right timing, it seems to re-adjust itself. Could it be re-adjusting to correct something, or is it something it shouldn't do?

Is there anything else I should check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

Back